Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Okay, so I've got a question.  For mothers with boys with long hair; why?

I ask because I have a friend who is refusing to cut her sons hair (he's a smidge over a year) and I just don't get it.  It's in his face, his eyes, tickling his ears... with a girl and long hair you put it in pony tails, or braids, or use headbands or at least give them a style that keeps it out of their eyes.  When I see boys with long a$$ hair it's almost always unruly and in the way.  So why?

{edit} and by cut I do not mean buzzed.  Buzzed cuts are not the only option for a boy.

{edit} I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm pulling my hair out over the topic... just so you know.

{final edit} Okay, again this is out of CURIOSITY, not because I'm hunting you down in Target and berating you in the aisles.  I'm honestly interested in reasons and understanding the why.  Any well thought out reason is good enough so long as it's not "Well, I don't care how my kid feels, I do what I want!"  My son was born with a ful head of hair, and by 7 months we decided to get his hair trimmed.

Prior to first hari cut:

And I hated every hair cut we've paid for ($30 on average) because everyone thinks that clippers are the necessary tool, which is why I cut it myself now.

I love this:

And this

And this:

And this

And this

So what I'm trying to say is that by short I do NOT mean a lack of style, or length even.  When I say long, I mean that when left to it's own devices, the kid isn't having to sweep it aside to even see out of it.

That's my attempt at giving guidelines for an otherwise vaguely defined length.  I consider my son's short in all of the images posted, even short-short in some.  But I love the slightly messy, rock star cuts the best.  I'm not a fan of buzz cuts, at all.  I love style and texture, which is why I cut both my husbands and my sons now rather than pay some chick to f it up and cut it like a "dude".  Just some perspective...

So again... looking for honest input, not upset egos!  Someone brought up religion, fantastic.  Others that their child, individually, just looks nice with longer hair, awesome.  Other's that the actual length has little to do with it, since curls keep it out of the way, logic, it's super wonderful.  Love it.  Keeep it coming.

{I would also have to say that many of the photos posted I would NOT consider long hair.  Although a few definately fit the bill, many are merely longish, long in comparison to buzzed, some curls at the base of the neck does not constitue long}

by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Replies (51-60):
erikays
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:59 AM
We buzz out boys hair
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lillysnow
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:02 AM
my ds has long hair. but i keep it looking nice. im old scool punk thats why i love it. when hes old enough if he dosent want it then that's his choice. but for now hes still got the hair he was born with. i only shave the sides and back. people love it. lol even little old ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Malley
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting IQuitCounting:

That's what I posted this in the toddler/preschool group, because I'm talking about the little ones that are too young to have an opinion.  A choice that's theirs is different.

LOL, my kiddos have had opinions about things since they were about 16  months old , like what clothes they want to wear.

MommyRJ
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Not a fan here. My sons hair is kept short
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Mine too. I love his curls. Df thinks it's time for a cut and I'm slowly getting on board. When his hair is wet and you comb it out it goes below his nose.
I just don't his curls to go away

Quoting bchic24:

My son has long hair but his is curly and when it's dry it fluffs up and stays out of his way.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichaelsMom0711
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM
my son has a ton of hair and has since he was born! It was getting long when he was about 7 or 8 months it would reach his eyes and ears but i was afraid to cut it because he wouldnt sit still and i was so afraid he would lose his curls! Luckily he didnt and had his first hair cut at about 8 months! Now it seems to get lighter everytime we cut it and the curls get a little tighter when theyre shorter! I love his hair when its trimmed, it looks neater but i wont be getting him a buzz cut or anything too short cuz i love his curls! it grows so fast too that hes getting hair cuts like once a month ever since the first one!!
MagickalMommy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Well  Ds1 was around 3 when he decided he wanted long hair. 

LOL by the time my kids were two they had opinions.

And yeah we git the girl comments all the time... actually with ds2 no matter how short his hair is or what he wears it seems like people always first think he's a girl....

Quoting IQuitCounting:

That's what I posted this in the toddler/preschool group, because I'm talking about the little ones that are too young to have an opinion.  A choice that's theirs is different.

I will admit though, as I scrolled up, I did think that your two oldest were girls in the first picture.  Cute girls, but girls nonetheless.

Quoting MagickalMommy:

I think long hair is cute on boys. My older boys are 9 and 5. They started growing their hair out because that was their choice.

Their bodies their hair, their choice. JMO.

They deicded to cut it and donate it to locks of love this summer. My 9 year old is growing his out again. The 5 year old hasn't decided yet. Once it gets long enough they will donate it again :)

Before (last Christmas)

Photobucket

After

Photobucket

My little is 15 months old and he doesn't have much long hair, but it is so unruly and curly, I don't know what we will do with it....

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 21, 2012 at 3:16 PM

i prefer short hair. although when my son was younger it was hard to cut his hair. lol now i keep it really short!

ambermario4ever
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well I like my sons hair a little shaggy because it is curly in the back.

proudMom2634
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM

My nephew's hair is also being grown long and don't like it much either,..but it is what they want so just ignored it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN