Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

5yo just doesn't "think" sometimes :/.

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

He's a pretty good kid, but I feel like there are some days his brain shuts off :/.  Like today.

We had to get a few last minute items for Thanksgiving tomorrow and he's acting like an idiot in the grocery store.  Its a zoo in there considering everyone has the same thoiught I do :/.  He's just acting up, going here and there, just being plain dumb.

We got lunch and hew as just being stupid with his pizza.....got it all over himself, not paying attention to what he's doing :/.

And if that weren't enough, he's downstairs and knows I'm upstairs.  Daddy left to run an errand and he just starts blowing up for no reason about him being "scared".  I tell him I'm upstairs (I was cleaning to prep for otmorrow) and he's just being whiney and everything :/.

And then, you'd think that was enough, but then he decides it was a good idea to get out some graham crackers.  But instead of eating them, he's crushing them on the table.....the table I JUST GOT DONE CLEANING.  

Sometimes I wish I could just smack the kid :/.  I don't know what else to do when he gets like this......its just one dumb thing after the other :/.

There, vent over.

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mipsy
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Ty has days like that and it irritates the hell out of me *hugs*
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 8:39 PM
My son has his days too but he's a kid and I try to be as patient as I can be. I really have a hard time yelling at my kids since I still have fear of my father from him yelling at me sometimes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Thanks guys LOL.  He's doing better now.  I don't know what was going on, but at least he had a better afternoon.  I try to be patient too, but he was really testing my limits LOL

signingmama2915
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:01 PM
My 5.5 year old does the same thing and has been since he was about 4.5...i hope he gets over it soon.

Good luck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this

dude, it happens, he's 5, hell, my 11 year old has days like that...he feels the tension, he wasn't getting the attention, the holiday preparations were, sometimes kids just have days where they act out and need more attention...today was his (and apparently my 11 year old's)

BramblePatch
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Maybe he has some sensory processing issues, such as sensory seeking?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy404204
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:21 PM

So glad to hear it is not just my 5 year old boy that does that. He does things I would expect his 2 year old sister to do like when he eats it is all over his face or he plays with his food. It gets to be rediculous when we are out and I have to yell at him but his little sister is acting right. Soooo frustrating

tisami1
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Yeah, sounds like my 5 year old. Sometimes I want to yell at him to stop acting like his (toddler) brother lol, but I reserve that for in my head. For him, it seeps to be the few hours before dinnertime that are his roughest. I usually reserve his educational dvds (he is obsessed with learning about rescue workers) and some activities like play-doh. Stuff I really don't want all over the house or that will keep him busy and away form me lol. Sounds horrible, but I really think his boredom makes his whiney/annoying behavior worse.

amc103
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like maybe he does it when he knows you're busy...maybe he wants more attention from you? I know it can be hard though. Sometimes as mothers, we just HAVE to do other things! Like clean the house, and prepare for things like THanksgiving. My DS has days like that too. I just try to remember that he's young and he wont be forever. I usually try to take a break or two from what Im doing to hug him and tell him that I love him. Even that helps sometimes. He might just need some extra attention. :-)

suroundedbyboys
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Remember the key point, he is 5. He's not an adult or teenager even, it sounds like you are expecting to much. I have a barely 5 year old and he has his moments and he does the scared thing all the time. He won't even go down the hall to the bathroom bc randomly he's scared. Dot be to hard on him, he's only 5 once. You may want to try and focus his energy have him help clean or help cook. When my kids are in a grumpy, bad mood in te evening the have to help cook, they grumble at first but they always get out of their mood and both my 5 and 7 year olds love to cook.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)