Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it normal for a 4 year old girl to ask this?...

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 19 Replies
I was changing her brothers diaper who is 1 1/2 years old. And my daughter came over who is almost 4 years old and asked" can I touch his weiner?" I said "no we don't touch other ppls private areas." And she looked ashamed for asking.is this a normal thing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sthflachk
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Here's a bump cause I got nothin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Supervane
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Maybe she was legitimately curious.

Is Weiner the official word you use in your household?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvnmykids1824
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Yes. She asked me what it was when he was first born and we just stuck with calling it "weiner"

Quoting Supervane:

Maybe she was legitimately curious.

Is Weiner the official word you use in your household?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
theosgirl45
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I would say its normal.  I also have a four year old DD and just had a son on October 1st.  She seems pretty curious about diaper changing time but hasn't asked any questions so far.  However, her and my nephew ask each other these questions a lot.  They seem to always be asking about each others pee pees.  We just explained to them(the same way you did) that those parts are private and aren't to be shown to other people.(Except mommy and daddy)

conejoazul
by Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you asking is it normal for her to be curious to touch it? Or are you asking is it normal for her to look ashamed after asking and being told no, we don´t do that?  Just speaking for myself, I think the answer to both questions is "Yes".  

If you are comfortable with it, I think it is would be completely appropriate to let her help change her brother´s diaper and show her how a caregiver helps a baby boy clean his genitals. It seems to me you are right to let her know we don´t randomly touch other people´s genitals, but she has seen you for a year and a half now needing to clean his privates, so it doesn´t surprise me she has developed a curiousity about his construction down there and there is a gentle way to address that curiosity without violating your son´s integrity.

calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I think its a normal curiosity. And I think you're right to explain to her that we don't do that. Idk about the ashamed part???? Not sure how a child should react. Maybe she was just embarassed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Or perhaps she was just dissapointed that she couldn't help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Yes its normal. My son is the older one (he's almost 6 and my dd is almost 3 1/2) but my dd went thru a phase when she was potty training last spring where she would watch my son pee and try to poke his penis. It was just this funny thing totally different from her parts. I had a talk with my son about appropriate touching and explained to him that she shouldn't be touching him.

She also went thru a phase where she would straddle the toilet seat backward and try to pee the same direction as brother. It was all part of her just working it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM

i'm sure she was just curious. sounds innocent to me at least.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 7:46 PM

I'm pretty sure it is....they are curious and that's something she's never seen or touched.....so I think it was more curiousity moreso than sexual.  I wouldn't go too hard on it ,but you are right.....she can't toufch other's privates LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)