Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

High fever?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son will be 3 in a couple of weeks, and he's been crying all day. I thought he was just upset because everyone was holding his new little sister and not him, but I just got home and realized how warm he is. He's asleep now, just took his temp and it's at 101.7. Is that a high fever for his age? He won't tell me if anything is hurting, but he just peed his pants (unusual for him) and cried and screamed until he went to sleep. I cleaned him up and gave him some tylenol. I really feel awful or not noticing, so please no judging.

by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:25 PM

BUMP!

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Thats not too terribly high. Could he have a UTI?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Nov. 22, 2012 at 10:10 PM
No it isn't a high fever. Google Dr Sears and fevers he has great explanations of how to treat....if you should treat and what to watch for. He also explains how fevers are helpful.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Just checked on him and his fever broke. He never gets sick, so whenever he does get sick I completely forget what to do lol. Thanks for your replies. I'm going to let him sleep this one out and we'll go to the doctor tomorrow.

Mipsy
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Hope he gets better asap.

But no, that isn't a high fever. A high fever would be 103+ :)

Quoting ChocolateJunky:

Just checked on him and his fever broke. He never gets sick, so whenever he does get sick I completely forget what to do lol. Thanks for your replies. I'm going to let him sleep this one out and we'll go to the doctor tomorrow.

ChocolateJunky
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

=( I hope not. Those are no fun.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Thats not too terribly high. Could he have a UTI?

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Nope, not high.  Unless we suspect a secondary infection (sinus or ear) our pedi doesn't see our kids unless/until their fever is over 102 for 4 or more days. Otherwise, 104+ is when you need to worry so he's well out of that range.

Also, don't beat yourself up.  We all go thru that at some point.  I won't bore you with the long story and all the details but my son had walking pneumonia last spring and I didn't know it.  I took him to Urgent Care over the weekend for a suspected ear infection only to discover that he had a 104.3 temp, double ear infection and walking pneumonia.  He just didn't act that sick.  The doc was even SHOCKED when he walked into the room to find my son telling jokes.  At 104+ my son was triaged to the top of the list and the doc rushed in expecting my son to be practically comatose.  I felt horrible for missing it but the fact that the doc was surprised by my son's behavior given all that was going on, helped me feel better.  All we can do is our best and sometimes it's not perfect. 

I hope he feels better after a good night's rest.

TTC2Long
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM
1 mom liked this
No, not high at all 103-105 is high. I don't medicate fevers under 102. Even 102 fevers need to stay there consistently before I medicate. A fever is the body's defense against invading bacteria or viruses - by raising the temp, it kills them off. You cut off that tool and you keep your child sicker, longer. My exception is if he seems in pain or it's interfering wuth sleep, which is also important. Otherwise, I dress ds as lightly as possible for the room temp, give him plenty of aloe juice and fruit juice mixed, aloe is amazing for the immune system and juice is cool for the body, hydration is key all around, and keep him mellow. Take care! I hope he feels better soon!
krayzbabylove
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM
That is not high at all for a three year old. But he probably has other symptoms as well that are making him uncomfortable and cranky. Fluids and rest!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

it's not too high but I judge the sickness on how they are feeling overall, not just the fever alone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN