Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Okay,so.... Toddler boy moms? Can this wait till Tues? ETA

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM
  • 21 Replies
At the end of last week, my two yr not potty trained son started becoming antsy about diaper changes. Specifically the wet wipe and when I have to move his penis to clean a blow out. He whines, kicks, and try to cover his gentalia. I can not get a good look even if DH pins his arms and I lean on his legs. ( god how traumatic for him...and apparently my husband! He is circumsized, and I take great care in cleaning under the bit of foreskin he has.
Well, today, it's inflamed. Red and raw. I put A&D on him tonite...should I be using neosporin?
Can a pedi visit wait till tues when the office is less full of children that got sick over the holiday?
Will Motrin help?
Yes, alot of questions.... I've been out of the toddler game for eleven yrs so my memory of this is pretty far back in my head. Is it an infection that I need to get immediate medical attention for tomorrow, or can I wait till tues ,or is this something I can heal at home?

And please, I can't go back in time and uncirc him so telling me this wpuldn't have happen if... (insert rage here) will not be helpful.
Thank you

ETA: I took him in today, it is "just" a skin infection. Hah! Any infection the requires an antibiotic cream and 8ml of amoxicillin twice a day isn't a "just". The cream mentioned that it treated skin infections similar to Impetigo....I remember that one being quite uncomfortable when he had it last year.
Thank you all for urging me not to wait.

ETA AGAIN: I forgot to mention, pedi said the my son's head cold probably didn't help. His body cannot fight both well. He suggested the head cold may leave quicker now that the bacterial infection is now being taken care of.

The ones that you love the most go away to soon, the others just never go away...

by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dewh2007
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ma2Liam
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:34 AM
You might want to get it checked sooner rather than later if it is really sore and swollen. It might be cellulitis and that can get way bad quick. It is also very painful.
Edit: my son woke up with it one morning and we went to the er that night. It was a Saturday. They said it would had been horrible had we waited until Monday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbyslynn
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:36 AM
I don't have boys but maybe a lukewarm bath would help to get it clean? Maybe some naked time to air it out would help too. Sorry I'm not much help but it'll bump it up for you if anything else! GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisFunnyGrl
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM
If he isn't allowing you to mess with it and he is in obvious pain I wouldn't wait. Esp if it is raw and inflammed. could be an infection. I wouldn't wait id take him to ER. . Is he making the same amount of wet diapers? Does it hurt whne he pees?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
diegosmom828
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM
Try bacytracin instead of neosporin
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:40 AM
Yeah, i think I would take him in sooner. Poor guy. He probably has a uti.
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM
Quoting Mipsy:

Yeah, i think I would take him in sooner. Poor guy. He probably has a uti.

See? That's what I thought, but his only other symptom is a slight loss of appetite. Believe or not there is little about boys and uti(s) on we'dmd, mayo clinic or even baby Ctr, just that 8% of toddler boys get them!
singlemama0905
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM
I would take him in sooner
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Quoting Ma2Liam:

You might want to get it checked sooner rather than later if it is really sore and swollen. It might be cellulitis and that can get way bad quick. It is also very painful.
Edit: my son woke up with it one morning and we went to the er that night. It was a Saturday. They said it would had been horrible had we waited until Monday.

Yes, I've had cellulitis, it was just on my finger and hurt like heck.
Thank you. He is sleeping well after today's festivities.... Do I wake him for the ER. Or can I wait till tomorrow am?
hollydaze1974
by on Nov. 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Quoting HisFunnyGrl:

If he isn't allowing you to mess with it and he is in obvious pain I wouldn't wait. Esp if it is raw and inflammed. could be an infection. I wouldn't wait id take him to ER. . Is he making the same amount of wet diapers? Does it hurt whne he pees?

Same amount of diapers, yes and no, there is never an indication that he is urinating , whining or otherwise. The only other symptom is less interest in food this week.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)