Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 2 year old wont sleep in her room

Posted by   + Show Post

Scarlett was doing so well she would sleep just fine in her room and now for some reason she will, only nap in there and then at night she wants to sleep in the living room with me. She will throw a fit and wont go to sleep if she is not next to me. Could someone please give me some advice I need some sleep she moves way to much and I also have a 3 months old and she wakes him up also. Any advice would really help

CafeMom Tickers

by on Nov. 26, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-20):
brandhailey
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I can carry her in her room after she falls asleep but then she wakes up in a little bit cring and comes back into the living room.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

I could've written this myself!

DD was fine in her room up until a few months ago when she started on insisting she fall asleep in the livingroom.  We're at our wit's end because we have to wait for her to fall asleep and then carry her into her room and it's not a big deal, but it's not ideal.

CafeMom Tickers

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Do you close the door?  We close DD's door and she whines sometimes, but she goes right back to sleep.

We also put a nightlight in her room that is fairly bright so she can see and I tell her repeatedly there is nothing to be scared of and show her everything in her room and every nook and cranny at night.  Because of their age, I really think it's their imaginations working overtime.

Quoting brandhailey:

I can carry her in her room after she falls asleep but then she wakes up in a little bit cring and comes back into the living room.

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

DD was fine in her room up until a few months ago when she started on insisting she fall asleep in the livingroom.  We're at our wit's end because we have to wait for her to fall asleep and then carry her into her room and it's not a big deal, but it's not ideal.

brandhailey
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM

No I had to take her door off because shse kept tring to close it and smash her fingers. I do exactly what ya say and nothing. Guess its just her imagination hope she gets over it soon I want to be back in my bed lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Do you close the door?  We close DD's door and she whines sometimes, but she goes right back to sleep.

We also put a nightlight in her room that is fairly bright so she can see and I tell her repeatedly there is nothing to be scared of and show her everything in her room and every nook and cranny at night.  Because of their age, I really think it's their imaginations working overtime.

Quoting brandhailey:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

CafeMom Tickers

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I'm hoping this shall pass REALLY soon because I'd like to read in my own bed instead of having to sit in the livingroom with DD while she falls asleep too! LOL!

Quoting brandhailey:

No I had to take her door off because shse kept tring to close it and smash her fingers. I do exactly what ya say and nothing. Guess its just her imagination hope she gets over it soon I want to be back in my bed lol

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Quoting brandhailey:

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

mamalusbear
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM

What about one of those sleep machines or constellation nightlights?  She might be scared of being alone in the dark.  How about a big stuffed animal?

brandhailey
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM

IM up for anything whats a constellation nightlight?

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:57 PM

IMO:

You need to put the door back onto room.  Put her into her bed.  And leave her there.  By allowing her to sleep in the living room with you, you are giving in to her.  She isn't ever going to give it up on her own.  If you don't force her to sleep in her own bed now, it's not going to be easier later.

I was having issue with my 3 YO a few months back.  He would come into my room every night and expect to sleep with me.  I did it for a few weeks, but wasn't getting the sleep I needed--and neither was he.  It was more of an inconvenience to get up and put him back into bed, but after a couple of nights of it, he stopped coming in because he realized it would not get him anywhere.

ImNotKarl
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM

I don't know what to say. My son is almost two and is doing something similar. He says his room is scary, even with the dog sleeping in there with him. He either climbs into bed with me or waits until we're sleeping and moves to the couch in the living room. He's ok with going to bed on time, just not in his room.

mskeeinmd
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

My son started that last year and I would just go in his room and sleep with him until he dozed back off and climbed back in my bed.  I think a lot of children go through that.  Just keep nightlights on and telling her beautiful things before bed time. She will do it.

TerriAnne2606
by Bronze Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Ditto.  We think it's because she's afraid of the dark even with a night light on.  I can get her to fall asleep in her room, but once the livingroom goes silent because we've gone to bed, she'll immediately run to the couch sobbing hysterically.  I've just given up trying to get her back to sleep in her room.  Poor thing. 

Quoting CorpCityGrl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)