Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

30 months still nursing HELP!

Posted by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM
  • 32 Replies
My son still nurses he basically just hangs off of me if we're together. Redirection doesn't work, he's refusing dinner and then nurses too many times at night to count. I've tried giving him something other than the breast when he wakes up but he just screams for two hours straight (no exaggeration) until I give in. I work full time and I can't afford that. ANY help you ladies can give is appreciated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookinmommyof1
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Have you tried pumping and giving it in a sippy? Then slowly mix more cows milk with the breast milk until he doesn't get and breastmilk? Wish I had more, my ds self weened when he was around a year
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2boys9yrsapart
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Lucky. He drinks cows milk with him I don't think it's the product it's the package. :-( thanks for replying!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know.  I'm not a believer of child-led weening for my house.  I'm a fan of "it's my body and you can borrow it for as long as I'm willing to share it but when I close up shop, tough luck."  My son nursed for 16 months (I chose to stop) my DD for 8 months (she quit me after she bit me once.  i yelled out in pain, she cried and never nursed again). 

If it were me, I would just flat out refuse.  Kids adapt a lot quicker to change then we anticipate they will.  If you tell him all done and stick to it I would bet he'll move on pretty quickly.  At this point he knows you are going to give in which is why he's crying so long for it.  Do it on a weekend where you can lose some sleep and then just let him cry or snuggle you.  As soon as you give in you are starting 2 steps back.  If you honestly want him to stop then put your foot down and don't give in. 

I'm sure people will disagree with me but that's just my opinion on it.

LilyBeansMom
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I am still nursing at 20 months. She does not sleep through the night so I am up with her at least once, usually twice. But she goes to sleep just fine on her own, she eats all her meals plus snacks, and drinks cow's milk from a cup. I think your child is using you as a pacifier and has learned to manipulate you. I think you are going to have to either live like this until he is over it, or set some boundaries and let him scream until he figures out you're serious. If you can't stick to your guns then don't try it. Letting him break you down just once will teach him that screaming works - and he won't forget it. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:20 PM

wish I had some advice. my son was fine to stop at a year and dd is almost 11 months and still nurses a lot but i'm fine with it for now. Maybe the breastfeeding group will have some good advice?

Gweneveer
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
My 26 mos old is still nursing....and I'm DONE!!!! SO.FREAKING.DONE. I have been trying to wean, and she's not having it. She too will scream for an hour. She did this afternoon when I told her no. Redirection doesn't work on her either. Honestly....if I knew I would be in this situation, I never would have bf past one year. Ugh. Good luck mama, we need it!!!
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I nursed my Daughter until she was 2. I was going to stop at a year and just kept putting it off.  I worked full time but mostly from home.  I pumped. I fed her. She woke up every single night every hour and a half to nurse. It was exhausting. I was kind of forced to quit because I got pregnant with my son so had to stop...wanted to anyway. I kept saying when a kid is old enough to see me walk in the door and drag the boppy pillow to me, its a problem HA HA.  So we just changed up the routine.  I started pumping in the morning instead of feeding her and my Husband would give it to her in a bottle or sippy cup. When I got home from work, I would take her outside to play as a distraction.  Basically just change up the routine, I got it down where I was only nursing her at night. So one night I told my Husband I was going to bed early and to give her a bottle ...or sippy cup at that point and if she took that instead of me, I would be done nursing.  I chose to do it that way because I didn't want to know the last time I nursed would be the last time. It would make me sad, even though I knew it was time. So I went to bed and woke up in the morning..yep, in the morning. It was the first time my Daughter slept the entire night and she did fine and never looked to me to nurse her again.  My son quit on his own at about 16 months.  He used to get up from the boppy pillow and go to the kitchen and point to a bottle. Hint taken LOL. Good Luck!

aritoyh
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 7:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just be done and let him scream if it were me. Redirect the best you can, offer comfort when you can but do not give in. Doing it even once will teach him that eventually his crying will pay off.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Before i  say it...This is my opinion. because i know there is a nut out there that will gripe at me. Thats why its just my opionion. I personally believe that a child over the age of 1 yr is to old to be on the breast. They need to start learning some independence. However i do believe that expressing milk to put in a cup is a better way. Dont let him have it anymore. Its the only way. Stop cold turkey. If he wants milk bad enough then he will drink it out of a cup. Let him cry and wine. Dont give in. My youngest is almost 3 mos old and wants to use my boob for a pacifier alot. Aint gonna happen.lol. BF moms please dont take this personal. We all think different. We are all human and go with our instincts.

mamalusbear
by Member on Nov. 27, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you asked the pediatrician?  La Leche League is a great resource too....http://www.llli.org/ .  There are monthly meetings, and if you have a question you can usually just email the local chapter leader, plus they're free.  Best of luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)