Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

The Potty Training Challenge...Might be long...lol

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 3 Replies

Ok, so we have been working on DD with potty training, this might be a long post, but am bouncing around some ideas, so no bashing please...suggestions only. Right now DD who is 2 and a half (she'll be 3 in March) still sleeps in the crib. I don't think we're ready to try a big girl bed just yet...am hoping to hold off til DH comes home from Korea. She is finally wanting to sit on the potty...just nothing happens yet, no biggie, we're still practicing! lol But she is stripping down while she's still in the crib and it's a big ole mess...am trying to get her to not strip down to avoid the mess, but I don't want her regressing...make sense? I think she's scared to relax on the potty and pee in it. Idk if I should even buy a potty chair for her at all, since she enjoys sitting on the potty like a big girl and the part I feel bad about is when we're all asleep and she has an accident, I feel bad that I didn't hear her call out...am trying to get her to say "Mommy, I need to go potty!" or something along those lines! lol...i know, I'm rambling here...lol! And I know accidents are a big part of the training process...for those of you who went straight to underwear...what were your routines? Just getting some idea...she loves her pullups at the moment...i don't want to rush, but I'm thinking that if she's stripping because she's had an accident and she doesn't like to be dirty/wet, she might be inclined to wear underwear and pee/poop in a potty? Just some thoughts please on your little ones....Thanks!

by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Day training and night training are 2 totally different things.  You actually cannot night "train" a child.  A child stays dry when a hormone is released by the brain to slow urine production while the child sleeps.  That's development and cannot be trained.  It happens when it happens.  The other part of that is the child learning the sensation of having to pee and waking up to do it.  That's maturity.  For now, keep her in pull-ups for sleeping.  If you don't want her stripping, put her in a one piece sleeper backward with the feet cut off so she can't get out of it.

For the day training stuff it sounds like you are one the right track.  We trained both of our kids on a big potty.  Getting her to call out is just something that will come in time.  For my 2 kids, for the first while I would take them regularly to try to pee.  Then they took over and would take themselves.  The calling out "I have to go potty" was the final step.  My DD has been trained for over 6 months and still yells "I have to go potty!!!!" and we are like "sooooo, go! you know where it is!!!" 

Keep her in underwear or naked when you are home and just take her regularly.  My DD took 4 straight days before anything got in the potty but once she had that first successful pee, she made the connection and it was all downhill from there.  Like your DD, it takes her a while to relax though.  She'll sit on the potty and talk or mess with the toilet paper, etc.  Finally she gets quiet and you can tell she's concentrating really hard and then she pees.  She still has trouble in some public places but, thankfully, if she REALLY has to go she is able to get it done.  Just keep it fun and exciting and your daughter will get there.  Good luck!!!

HarrisonMD
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Day training and night training are 2 totally different things.  You actually cannot night "train" a child.  A child stays dry when a hormone is released by the brain to slow urine production while the child sleeps.  That's development and cannot be trained.  It happens when it happens.  The other part of that is the child learning the sensation of having to pee and waking up to do it.  That's maturity.  For now, keep her in pull-ups for sleeping.  If you don't want her stripping, put her in a one piece sleeper backward with the feet cut off so she can't get out of it.

For the day training stuff it sounds like you are one the right track.  We trained both of our kids on a big potty.  Getting her to call out is just something that will come in time.  For my 2 kids, for the first while I would take them regularly to try to pee.  Then they took over and would take themselves.  The calling out "I have to go potty" was the final step.  My DD has been trained for over 6 months and still yells "I have to go potty!!!!" and we are like "sooooo, go! you know where it is!!!" 

Keep her in underwear or naked when you are home and just take her regularly.  My DD took 4 straight days before anything got in the potty but once she had that first successful pee, she made the connection and it was all downhill from there.  Like your DD, it takes her a while to relax though.  She'll sit on the potty and talk or mess with the toilet paper, etc.  Finally she gets quiet and you can tell she's concentrating really hard and then she pees.  She still has trouble in some public places but, thankfully, if she REALLY has to go she is able to get it done.  Just keep it fun and exciting and your daughter will get there.  Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for that information...I try really hard not to make it a big production...she is very stubborn! lol and I've been reading up on some potty training techniques too...but I like the idea of putting her back in a sleeper...I have at least one that will fit her for now and we'll see what happens...lol! But I never realized about the hormone for releasing urine...interesting! So am prepared for the messes and I'm tempted to start getting her a few pairs of real panties to see how she does...who knows, maybe that's the kicker she needs to pee in the potty...she can't stand to be wet or messy unless she's playing so hard, she forgets! lol

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Quoting HarrisonMD:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Thank you so much for that information...I try really hard not to make it a big production...she is very stubborn! lol and I've been reading up on some potty training techniques too...but I like the idea of putting her back in a sleeper...I have at least one that will fit her for now and we'll see what happens...lol! But I never realized about the hormone for releasing urine...interesting! So am prepared for the messes and I'm tempted to start getting her a few pairs of real panties to see how she does...who knows, maybe that's the kicker she needs to pee in the potty...she can't stand to be wet or messy unless she's playing so hard, she forgets! lol

My DD is super stubborn too!  I expected training her to be a NIGHTMARE but I needed to have her trained for preschool so one day we just tried.  The first time she peed on herself she went CRAZY!  Screaming, crying, terrified.  After that first accident she really hated it when she had an accident but finally after 4 days she peed for Daddy on the potty!  She ended up training even easier than my son and he was about 9 months older when I trained him. 

You never know, your daughter may surprise you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN