Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

2 days a week enough for PreK?

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM
  • 25 Replies
My daughter is enrolled in a 2 half day per week Preschool Class. Is this enough schooling to get her prepared for kindergarten? ! They teach the core curric. But im constantly worrying that she should be full time. Cost is the only reason she isnt full time. =/

Thanks for reading!
~Andrea
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
joshlor2
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd went 2 days a week and she is doing great in first grade this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Ds went 2 days 1/2 days last yr as a 3 yr old. He goes 4 days 1/2 days now. His preschool is funded so it doesn't cost for us. Its the great starts program
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by on Nov. 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

2 days will still be benefical. maybe you can ask the pre-k teacher to give you whatever they print up in class the days she isn't there.   Or maybe ask what they will be working on so that you can work on it with her at home?

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM

our HeadStart here is free. five days a week. 3 and 4 yr old classes. She goes 8-1:30. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 12:59 AM

It's fine.  Pre-K really isn't even essential if she's working at home and learning her letters, numbers, phonics, writing, counting, etc.  The 2 1/2 days will get her comfortable in a classroom, taking instruction from a teacher, working in a large group setting, etc. 

mskeeinmd
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Check the state requirements for kindergarten to determine if the curriculum she is receiving will prepare her. If not, you may want to find somewhere else.  My son is 4 and will be going to kindergarten next year and I looked at pre-schools, but they were a lot more expensive than his daycare.  I looked at the curriculum the daycare expected to work on for the year and the state requirements for kindergarten and decided to keep him put.  It's a lot cheaper and my son is working on stuff that kids do in kindergarten and first grade.  It's crazy, but I'm truly blessed that I found this center.

2under5.mom
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:44 AM

My DS is in a 5day a week pre-k program for half a day! Hes there from 1-3:30 everyday. The school district in your area doesnt have pre-k classes in the elementary schools? Thats where my DS goes and its free. Maybe you should look in to it!

STVUstudent
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:04 AM

If you are worried that she isn't getting enough academically, get some pre-school or kindergarten workbooks and start working with her.  Make it fun and concentrate on kindergarten readiness.  If you can't afford full time, then you can't afford it.  Make up for it with what you do at home.  Most everything can be a learning experience when you are that small.

For example:

laundry- color and size  and number recognition (help sort into colors, how many socks are in this pile, is this big or little?)

Dishes- shape, color, what is this used for?  big and little?

get the idea?  Anything will work, plus, read, read, read to your little one...

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:07 AM

My DD is in school readiness and early intervention 3 days a week half days and she's doing great.

JNLmomme09
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

My DD went five days a week for two hours a day. I thought it was great.  However I am the type of mom that believes that preschool is more benefical socially then anything else.  I think that the contact these little ones have set the foundation of good social skills. We all have to work together, take turns, be respectful, have friendships, and intereact with eachother on a daily basis. Cutting, pasting, learning abc's and 123's can always be taught. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN