Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Too Young to Talk About Death?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM
  • 13 Replies
My 3 yr old tripped on a dead squirrel today. He said it was tired so it was sleeping. lol I explained to him that it fell, got hurt, and died. Thinking about it now..should I have told him that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM
I am usually up front with my boys (5, 4, and nearly 3). But we have had to explain death since they were little since their older sister died as an infant. They think everything goes to heaven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Yeah, you told him the truth.  We were doing yard work when my son was 3 or 4 and a little dead bird fell out of a bush.  It was the first time death had come up and I just explained that the poor birdy died.  We buried it in our back alley, said a few nice words and that was that.  He would continue to ask me occasionally when the bird was going to get up.  The concept of death being forever was too abstract and that was okay.  I just told him the bird wasn't getting up because he had died.  He's almost 6 now and still doesn't really understand.  Thankfully no one close to us (or pets) have died so he still doesn't grasp the finality of it all.  My mom has an old dog though so I'm sure we'll go thru it soon.  It's always best to be honest but just don't over explain.  Answer any questions he may have but keep it simple.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Im so sorry to hear that.

Quoting Ktina11:

I am usually up front with my boys (5, 4, and nearly 3). But we have had to explain death since they were little since their older sister died as an infant. They think everything goes to heaven.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I don't think it's too young. I've had to talk to my kids about death since my oldest was about 2 and my youngest I think was around 1.5 when she first encountered it (they're 4 and 2.5 now). They had a pet die and one of their grandpas died and a great-grandpa died and then I had two miscarriages before becoming pregnant with their brother. They actually understand it a lot better than I expected they would even when they were younger.

Ilaynasmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Dd understands from fish dying and her pet rats.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlightlyPerfect
I'm not ready.
44 minutes ago
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:49 PM

I think what you did was perfect. Great introduction. Better than than a loved one, right?

slightlyperfect

mommy2boys03
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:52 PM

It's apart of life and the way you did it was perfect. We lost our dog last January and my youngest who is six will tell people we had a dog his name is archie and he is dead. I think it's better than making up a story.

Nichole0403
by Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Yeah its okay. Personally I try to beat around the bush about death with my boys, but that's just me. There's plenty of time in the future to talk about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I have been talking about it with my 3 & 4 year old for about 10 months now.  I lost both of my grandfathers in 2 months earlier this year--so we had to explain about the wake, funeral, etc.

PEEK05
by on Nov. 29, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I would have said it was dead too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)