Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my boy to go to sleep!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM
  • 8 Replies
I need help!! I am tired of rocking and fighting for hours with my 18 month little boy to go to sleep. What method do I try?? The No Cry Solution, 3 day sleep training e-book, the Sleep Lady Shuffle, Ferberizing??? I just read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and got nothing out of it.
We have a bedtime routine- bath, teeth, songs. And he used to just require a little rocking and then would lay down in his crib without protest. But now he jumps right up and screams to be picked up! And had started fighting to get out if our laps during rocking. I am stressed :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM

1) warm milk before nap/bedtime--tryptophan and warm milk reminds them of the warm breastmilk they got as babies

2) story while she brushes her teeth

3) full body massage with lavender lotion starting at feet and rubbing towards heart--who wouldnt fall asleep after a full body massage.  I barely finish her legs before she falls asleep.  I usually tell a story that I have memorized that is her favorite or sing lullabyes while I do the massage.

4) black out shade/curtain

5) standing fan to serve as white noise

6) soft classical lullabye music--additional white noise as needed but on a timer for 15 minutes

7) sing her favorite lullabye while putting her down.

The whole process takes about 15 minutes.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:39 AM

It can also be the second dose of separation anxiety, which usually occurs at 18 months, in which for mine, I gave her a soft sleep shirt that I had worn so she would have Mommy scent for comfort (side use as a blanket).  Worked like a charm, of course now she wont let me get it back!  LOL

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:15 AM

My DD has always been an AMAZING sleeper BUT she will go thru these phases where she will cry as soon as we lay her down to leave the room.  They last about a week, disappear for a while, come back for some unknown reason, etc.  What we do with her is this:  everything as usual until we leave.  If she continues to cry we give her 5-10 mins (depending on how upset she is) and then go back.  I've always just picked her up and snuggled her for just a min. and then assure her it's okay, mommy loves her and it's time for sleeping.  Usually, that's all it takes but sometimes I have to do that a couple times.  These days I know she's okay if when I leave the room and say "sweet dreams" she says "sweet dreams" back.  If she doesn't say it, she's gonna cry, it's just the way it works with her!

My advice is to just continue with your routine but let him cry for a few mins before you go back.  You may not even want to actually pick him up or talk to him but just "shhhhh" him and rub his back.  Leave again, wait another 5-10 mins and if he starts to calm down, increase the time between when you go back in. 

Good luck!

Also, we used intervals from a tape my SIL gave me called Your Baby Can Sleep.  We used this for my son when he was 6 months old and was on a 2 month sleeping strike.  It only took 1 night for him.

clairewait
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Quoting knbrawner:

I just read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child and got nothing out of it.

This surprises me.

I recommend that book to everyone I know and have found nothing but positive results from it.

Are you trying a solution and actually sticking with it? You might not solve the problem quickly, but there's something to be said for consistency. Kids really will resilliently bounce back from laying in a crib crying for a while.

I'm not anti-cry it out personally, and believe that the younger you start, the easier it is to train kids to sleep. Sometimes I think the proposed solutions that don't work for many people are simply because they are unwilling to stick with it and let the kid cry.

Not judging you, if you are anti-cry-it-out, but essentially, what it comes down to (for me) is how bad do you want him to learn? You might have to compromise your original plan.

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Hey mama,

First of all, do you have a good bed routine?  I would warn him about 30 minutes prior that bedtime is coming up and you should start the "routine". You make that whatever is most cmofy for you but most ppl include reading books, winding down cuddling, taking a bath, putting on pjs, hugs and kisses, etc.  For us, we have cleanup time, then brush teeth and put on pjs, then we read a few books, then I put him to bed.  I throw the blanket on him (his hting LOL) and say good night and leave.

But it will take some time to adjust to the routine :).  

Also, make sure his bedroom situaiton is most comfortable.  Talk to him about ti to see what you can do to make it better.  Perhaps there's a weird noise he doesnt' like that makes him scared.  Maybe making sure the closet door is closed, a nightlight, some music (some kids don't like it too quiet).  You can figure that out :).

Also talk to him about his bed itself.  Is he too hot or cold? Is his bed scratchy (sometimes blankets can feel scratchy).  

Good luck and I hope this helps :)

I don't know about any of tyhe methods ppl suggested here as I've never read the books or utilized them.  I never co-slept (baby in the same bed) but I did let my babies sleep in my room for the first few months.  Then we move them to their own cribs from thereon out.  At this age, though, we did allow them to sleep in a chair while watching TV or reading books.  Caden is 5 now and has outgrown that part of the routine, but it might help (if he has reflux or anything).

Good luck :)

PEEK05
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I just lay my son down and rub his back to his seahorse.  Sorry :(

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I used to have to rub my sons back until he fell asleep. that was all it took to get him to bed.

jaydensmom1726
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:54 AM

how busy is his day? does he still nap during the day?

my son will go down pretty easy most of the time. useally we have issues on days that his nap was too late in the day. or if we didnt do much of anything  outside of the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)