Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Transitioning....

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM
  • 7 Replies

Ok so I am SUPER pregnant and new DS will be here within 3 weeks.  We've decided that this weekend will be the start of transitioning DD from the nursery to her big girl room and big girl bed.  DS will be with us in our room for the first few months so we still have time but I want DD to be comfortable in her big girl bed and have forgotten that the crib was hers before we put DS in it.  Any suggestions for making the transition a little smoother and not so stressful on her?  I know it's going to be rocky but it has to be done :/

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey,

Yeah, it may be rocky at best :/.  Why is it so sudden that you need to move her out of her crib?  I think you should use that time the best that you can :).

But things will be rocky with the new baby as she's already having to transition to being a big sister.  So don't rap on her too badly if it doesnt' work out, actually.  You want to make the least amount of changes as possible.

The best I can tell you, for both situations.

1. Let her choose aspects about her bed.  Let her choose the lenins (if you are getting new ones).  Let her choose what animals to put on it, etc.  Let her play on her new bed for a while too to let her get used to it and its surroundings :).  And give her extra cuddles at night too, so she can get to sleep easier.

2. Spend as much tiem with her during the day as you possibly can.  Hopefully you have been doing this all along as you were expecting the baby.  Play games with her, take her out to town (whi9ch may not be an option for you at this point).

3. Let her choose many things for the baby.  If you need some clothes, let her pick some of them out for the baby :).  I did that with Caden and I think it made the most difference.  He was proud when his baby brother wore the clothes he picked out :).  In fact, if I ever asked Caden to grab clothes for Leo, he always grabbed those hahaha.

Good luck and I hope it goes smoother than you anticipate!

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I don't know your daughter but it might not be bad.  Ideally you may have wanted to do this a month or 2 ago but that ship has sailed and here you are.  However, sometimes the anticipation is worse than the reality.  Both of my kids transitioned perfectly.  We moved my son at 2 1/2 because we needed the crib for my DD who was due about 2 1/2 months later.  The first night he woke up crying 4 or 5 times but as soon as we went in, rubbed his back and cuddled him he went right back down.  He was perfect every night thereafter.  My DD is VERY stubborn and we expected her transition to be tough (she was 2 1/2 as well).  We thought she would just roam around her room all night (bars were our friend :)).  She didn't at all.  She got right into bed and slept perfectly.  We never had one issue with her at all and we were amazed!

I see your daughter is still pretty young but you still just never know.  I'm sure she really doesn't understand what's going on so you can't really prepare her.  1 thing we did with both kids was have a little 1/2 birthday party (we moved them both on their exact 1/2 birthdays) and give them a big boy/girl cupcake.  Then we went to their rooms and hung out there getting excited about their new bed.  Playing around, etc.  By bedtime they were good.

Good luck!  I hope she does well.  Also, congrats on your new LO!

PEEK05
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry not sure.  We start transitioning our kids around 6 months, both were completed by 8 months.  I will try the same methods with this new baby due in February.  Good luck!

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Maybe start with naps in the new bed then work on night time. Let her pick the bedding and maybe get her a special toy for being a big girl to sleep with in her new bed

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm. We did this with my Daughter when I was about 1-2 months pregnant so she didn't associate the move with the new baby.  What we did was make a HUGE deal out of a big girl bed. Got her a special new teddy bear to sleep with and a new bedtime book.  I was also stopping the nursing at the same time. Her first night in her big girl bed was the first time she ever slept through the night.  If you go with the teddy bear thing, the one we got is dressed in bed time clothes and my Daughter was told the bear had to stay on her bed during the night (in other words, not in Mama and Daddy's room) and we put the bear away during the day so it was a "special bear" that only came out at bedtime.  I would make a huge deal about the big girl room. Good Luck!

calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:17 PM
Same. We moved ds to his new room in Sept. When his sister was due at the end of January. He was already in a bed so it was just moving to a new bigger bed and a new room.

Quoting PEEK05:

Sorry not sure.  We start transitioning our kids around 6 months, both were completed by 8 months.  I will try the same methods with this new baby due in February.  Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Member on Dec. 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM

my son  was about 2.5 physically when we put the toddler rail on his crib.little did we know that he was only about 16 months old developmentally.

but he still did ok.but that could be because it is still his crib it just has a toddler rail on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN