Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How does your 2 1/2 year old talk? !!UPDATE!!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Jen
  • 29 Replies

My almost 30 month old can say anything at this point but he still speaks telegraphically. What I mean is, he leaves out articles and prepositions still. And he also pauses between each word. 

For example, he just said: mommy. Do it. Self. 

That means, mommy, I did it by myself! 

I'm wondering if this is typical or not.

UPDATE

I had early intervention come out and they did his evaluation today. The speech pathologist agreed that he does speak telegraphically and she said because he has a large vocabulary, he should be speaking in more of an adult like way. So he qualifies for services and we begin on Monday. 

I was kind of surprised because I thought that they would say, "He's fine." But they didn't and that makes me happy to know that my instincts were right and that they actually listened to me. I wanted their professional opinion and that is what I got. :)

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatmynameagain
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 10:39 AM
Id say it sounds pretty normal. I think the basic idea/ words come first. Sentences, prepositions, he, she, I don't usually come until closer to three years old.As long as he's communicating and adding to his vocabulary not loosing words he already had I wouldn't worry at this young age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It sounds normal to me. My DD is only 26 months, but it sounds like what she's doing some of the time. Some of her speech still occasionally has words out of order (like "put foot on shoe"), but she surprises me when she does things like pick out the book "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie," sits down, and tells me very clearly, "Mama, I'm reading Mouse Cookies."

Raeann11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Totally normal

PAmommy32
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:45 PM

My son at 2.5 talked almost like an adult.  He still at almost 3 doesn't say his L's, R's and F's very well but he gets the language of it.  All children are different though and I wouldn't get too concerned about his speech just yet. 

itsm3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

every kid develops at different rates.  at 2.5YO, dd was speaking like her 3.5yo cousin but my 4yo nephew doesn't talk as well.  over time, his language developed well ... just took him some time.  i wouldn't worry about it.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds normal. I usually just repeat what they said but saying it correctly
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM

I can't remember.  I know it took my daughter a little while to call herself "I" and "me" but I think by that age, she was using them.  Sorry here's a bump!

othermom
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM

That is some what typcal. My youngest talked a lot and did that some. My middle talked pretty well too and would sometimes. My oldest hardly talked at that age till he went to speech class

Brandy85412
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM

idk I think that is normal cause everyone says my 2.5 year old talks really well. She sometimes talk better than my 4.5 year old.

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has a speech delay so I'm not sure. At 2 1/2 he only had maybe 10 words in his vocabulary. Very seldom did he say more than one word sentences. 

Now at 3 after a lot of early intervention he has more words than I could count and he speaks in short sentences, but he does not use articles or prepositions and he only uses verbs and nouns...adjectives on some occassions. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN