Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

death talk...HELP!!

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

My DS is 4 turning 5 in January and hes been talking alot about death/dying. He asked me yesterday would i be sad if he died..of course i said i would be extremely sad and then i asked him what made him say something like that and he said he didnt know he was just thinking about it. Then he asked me when he dies am i going to take him to Heaven i told him no that God takes you to heaven. Whats the best way to handle this this type of conversation with him. I feel like hes to young for this kind of conversation but then i dont want to not answer his questions.

by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

My son started talking about death at that age.  He's never know anyone/anything to die so he thinks of it more like sleeping.  At almost 6, he still doesn't understand the finality of it all.  IMO you just answer his questions honestly but as simply as you can.  No need to take it further than what he's specifically asking about.

jen6807
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter started asking alot of questions last year after my best friend passed away from cancer. My daughter was very close to her and she thought my friend was a fairy now. And I explained to her that she was a beautiful angel in heaven and she wasn't sick anymore. I think you handled the situation just fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:12 PM

my dd who is 4 is all about death too. i think they get it from books/stories/stuff they hear at school.  however, i'm honest about death.  i don't get into the nitty gritty details but dd knows about death.  i feel that if i'm not worried/scared about it, she isn't either.

StacyO722
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I had to explain death to DD when she was a couple months over 3 when my Mom passed away. We told her that she went to heaven. She still doesn't quite get it (it's only been 4 months), she still says she will show things to Mum when she comes back. Breaks my heart.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:32 PM
I think its pretty normal. My son has said similar things.
C.S.K.L
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Mine now older 2 did the same, just explained that they were angels and with Jesus, they think that Jesus is a baby when now that he's in heaven, so our family member that have passed are with baby Jesus
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM
3 and 4 year olds love death and play games where the bad guys kills them. kinda strange but the idea is fascinating to them. some learn about it from personal experience, t.v., or friens and siblings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)