Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Bad behavior

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
  • 6 Replies
I have a 2 year old.(first born grandchild) he is a handful has been for as long as he could sit up I didn't mind it so uch because I coul tell him no and he would listen and he didn't listen to me I could tell him I was going to tell him grandma and he would settle down but now even if my mother tells him no he looks at you and does it anyway I have tried everything from yelling to time out even swatting him behind and he looks at me like I'm the one doing wrong and tells me no.this is my first son. I really need help on finding away to settle his actions :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

This is VERY normal and expected behavior for a 2 year old.  He's learning that he has some say in his life and he's exerting it.  The best thing you can do for a 2 year old is give him choices!  As many choices as you can.  Pick 2 lunch items and let him decide which he wants.  Pick 2 pairs of shoes and let him decide which to wear.  Pick 2 books and let him decide which to read (or which to read first).  2 year olds want control so start letting him think he has some.  

KidRosales
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:04 PM
It's really not the pick up of thing or even him trying to take control it. For and example (I told him you can't go behind the tv come over here I got up from folding cloths and went over to him to get him out and sat him in his time out chair he started yelling and screaming bloody murder I tried to pay no attention and let him go threw it but as soon as I sat down he started laughing and got up :/
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
So you walk over, don't say one word and sit him down again. You may do this for 2 hours but that's what has to happen. He'll figure it out if you stay consistent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KidRosales
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM
Thank you
corrinacs
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Its about control.....he is testing boundaries, which is a good thing in a way.....but I can understand how that could be totally annoying :)

Suggsetion would be to allow for control in certain areas.  Allow him to pick out his own clothes for the day (no matter how silly).  Allow him to pick out aspects of dinner....let him help you fix it....give him responsibility.....a 2 year old isnt' going to be taking out the trash, but they are capable of setting the table (with help).

That should helop somewhat with the control issues.  Also, if there's anything going on, especially that is new, let him know that oyu are there for him and your love for him doesn't change.  If this behavior is rather new and very unusual, sometimes this could be an indication something is unsettling him.  But it could be as simple as his bed moved an inch haha (not literally, but minor).

Good luck!

KidRosales
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Thank you :) great ideas
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)