Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 4 almost 5 year old son...

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM
  • 4 Replies

Is driving me crazy lately. He has been throwing tantrums anytime things don't go his way and anytime I try to get him to clean up his messes. He is a very stubborn and willful child. Always has been but he has never been this bad. I am pregnant right now with my third and I am not sure if he senses change is a coming or what! He cries and says he's sad a lot but won't tell me why. I just don't know what to do anymore. Even the littlest things can set him off. He honestly scares me because he is like a ticking time bomb. If he bumps his head its the end of the world and he will blame the nearest person even though it was clearly his own doing. He fights me when its time for preschool and bed. Most days he will be really good when it is just me and him but if his dad or brother are around he becomes this monster. Of course he isn't always like this...sometimes he's this sweet little boy who helps me out and talks nicely to me. Lately I have been seeing a lot more of the dark side of him...ever since we got back from visiting family for the holidays he seems to be acting more tempermental. I was thinking maybe he is ADHD because when we are out in public or even in the house he is all over the place. Like runs around and doesn't stop to see where he is going...constantly falling and hitting his head in to things. He is so uncoordinated. When it comes to his diet he is the pickiest eater. He will only eat PBJ, Spaghetti and maybe pizza. If something appears to be too hot he won't touch it. He won't try anything either. He was a really good eater until he hit age 4. Any advice? Therapy for the whole family? I mostly say that because my DH has been deployed since he and my oldest were babies so they have had a lot of change in there lives. Sorry if I rambled...I am just so at a loss as to what to do to make things better. I love him so much and love being around him! He is such a funny and wonderful little boy when he isn't being a terror! If I made grammer mistakes...I'm sorry...I'm on my way to a dr appt. If you read this thanks again!

pregnant
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2012 at 1:54 PM
I have boys right about his age (my older 2 are 5.5 and 4.5) and ODS gets frustrated easily...blaming others for everything. He will scream in frustration if his legos fall or if he messes something up. He thinks he is in charge and bosses the other two around. My mds is more like unfocused like you say. He seems to be on another planet from time to time. He has been pretty testy lately too. I don't know what would make it better but I will say that these things seem to come and go. For a while they will be great...then we will hit a rough spot for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Have you looked at sensory processing disorder? There are many different types and he sounds a bit like a sensory seeker to me along with maybe some other componants like oral defensiveness. Please research it. It may answer a lotn
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Nov. 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Sounds a little like my 5 year old
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
newdaydawning05
by on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:21 PM

It sounds like you are really experiencing some challenges with your son.  I can understand that this behavior can be frustrating for you as a parent.  It sounds as though your family has been through many changes which could be contributing to his reactions.  Have you considered talking with a counselor?  They may have ideas that can help you know how to respond.  I'm with Focus on the Family who has counselors you can talk with over the phone (at no cost to you).  You can reach them by calling 1-855-771-HELP (4357) weekdays between 6:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. (MT).  There are also some great parenting articles on the Focus website that offer good insight.  Well, hang in there and know this won't last forever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)