Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

3 year olds and talking... ?

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM
  • 140 Replies
What is normal? Like what should they be able to do etc... It seems like my son just isn't quite where he should be, but I haven't been around very many 3 year olds to really know lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bnh89
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this
My DD is 3 and you can't turn that mouth off most days! Her new word is "random", everything is "random". Dog was barking the other day DD says "What is that, some random dog?" lol But I've always heard it takes longer for boys to talk as much. I would say as long as he's progressing he's probably perfectly fine. Kids are just all different!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma4AJ
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM

my son is a kinda new 3 year old... he knows about 10-15 dinosaur names, his numbers, letters, colors, a LOT of animals, names of friends and family, he suprises everyone with all the words he can say, and clearly too

Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM
He is progressing and he loves talking, but he doesn't talk very well. Other people who aren't around him often don't usually understand him. He still does a lot of sounds rather than words.

Quoting bnh89:

My DD is 3 and you can't turn that mouth off most days! Her new word is "random", everything is "random". Dog was barking the other day DD says "What is that, some random dog?" lol But I've always heard it takes longer for boys to talk as much. I would say as long as he's progressing he's probably perfectly fine. Kids are just all different!
bnh89
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM
1 mom liked this
My younger brother was the exact same way, the immediate family could understand him but others couldn't. When he started school they wanted to put him in a speech class but my mom didn't agree with that and he eventually grew out of it and spoke completely normal. I wonder now if part of it was just because he was shy? Idk but keep in mind 3 is still pretty young! As long as his pedi doesn't have any concerns I wouldn't worry. Just maybe work with him on it if you feel the desire or need to.

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

He is progressing and he loves talking, but he doesn't talk very well. Other people who aren't around him often don't usually understand him. He still does a lot of sounds rather than words.

Quoting bnh89:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM
6 moms liked this
By age 3, people who aren't around him a lot should understand around 80% of what he says. This is average, but if it's Mich less than that, it wouldn't hurt to ask your pediatrician for a referral for a speech/language evaluation or call your local school district to see if they'd do a free screening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Pedro
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 1:55 AM
My son just turned 3 in November... he knows numbers up to about 20, but he can't SAY them after about 16... He just says, "Ah teen" until he gets to twenty. He knows his ABCs(minus a couple i think), but he's just getting to understand colors. And he's just learning that there are different kinds of animals of the same species... Like house cats and lions are both cats, but he knows what each one "says". But when he's trying to make sentences(and some words), it can be pretty impossible to understand. Like he will say a bunch of different sounds altogether then one or two words. Simple sentences aren't that bad... Like, "I want some milk"... He says, "ahnt some miwk". But if it gets much bigger than that it's nonsense with just a word or two.

Quoting momma4AJ:

my son is a kinda new 3 year old... he knows about 10-15 dinosaur names, his numbers, letters, colors, a LOT of animals, names of friends and family, he suprises everyone with all the words he can say, and clearly too

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Your pediatrician should be able to tell you where he's at milestone wise and what is typical. I honestly don't know what's normal. My 2.5 year old daughter talks in long sentences and is very clear and easily understood but a lot of people seem surprised by it so I don't know where she's at in the normal range. Her newest word is "technically." When her and her sister are fighting for a toy she'll say, "But Rachel, technically this is my toy and that baby doll over there is your toy." Lol! Both my daughters have been chatterboxes though since before they were a year. I'm preggo with my third and I'm thinking he'll just let his sister do all the talking. Lol! I do have a friend who started reading more to her son and his vocabulary has started to take off and he's beginning to enunciate more clearly as well. If you don't already read a lot to your son you could try that. :-)

Necie72
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

All kids are different...  It depends on exposure.  If he doesn't go to a daycare or preschool, he's a little more limited than kids who do.  My daughter would talk a lot at home, but was more of an observer at school.  Her teacher once told me that she was trying to get her to use her words...  At home, she would say cup, juice, milk, etc., but not at school...  She was a little shy...  Suddenly, it was like the flood of words came and people thought she was 4 before she turned 3...  She'll be 4 in January and she surprises me sometimes...  She can be non-stop...  You may find that it will be like it happened overnight...

AnGLInterrupted
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Every child is different and grows and learns at their own pace.  I wouldn't worry about it too much or compare your child with others too much. Bring it up at his 4 year check-up and see if it's something that should be looked into.

My daughter is 5 and in Kindergarten.  She still has trouble pronouncing some words.  We work with her every day here and there and it's helping tremendously.

Good luck hun! :)

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:45 AM
Im not sure whats normal. If you are worried bring it up to his doctor :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)