Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Gifts that are too much for a toddler

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM
  • 62 Replies

Can you think of any gifts or toys that are ridiculous to buy for a 3 or 4 year old? For instance:

Xbox 360 w/Kinect

Wii

French bulldog

etc?

If so list them and tell why you think its a bad idea?

P.S- My SS3 mom asked DH to buy SS an Xbox w/Kinect for christmas. I think thats the worst gift idea i've ever heard of!!!

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

if your 3 year old wants it why not?

My list of toys i would NEVER get any child

dollar store toys

stuffed $1 store animals

handmade things

crafts that are made already

$1 items

my kids 5 & 3 are getting kindle fires this year, last year they got the iPads & the year before DS got the iPod.

TVs were bought for DDs birthday and DS got his TV for christmas i think at 1.

i see nothing wrong with it, if they are going to use it.  i hate buying a gift that will break or last a millisecond.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:53 PM
7 moms liked this
For me, things I would never get for tots/preschoolers are any kind of tablet, kindle/nook, iPods, computer, TV, etc.

Children need to explore and play using their imagination. Nor so they know how to care for expensive items. I would be worried spending that kind of money on one item and have it broke.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Smiley2690
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

i agree...even though my bio kids are only 13 months and 8weeks old when they are older i plan on implementing a lot of outdoor play...playing together...letting them have some contact with technology but really going back to what fun use to be

Quoting jobberwocky:

For me, things I would never get for tots/preschoolers are any kind of tablet, kindle/nook, iPods, computer, TV, etc.

Children need to explore and play using their imagination. Nor so they know how to care for expensive items. I would be worried spending that kind of money on one item and have it broke.

HollyHawk333
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree. We've always limited the amount of electronic time with our girls. Now my 4yr old has the most amazing imagination and the best stories. She learns quickly and so many other qualities. I figure I will have years where all they want is electronics and I want to embrace this age. My oldest wants crayons and lalaloopsy dolls and my baby wants Minnie Mouse and babies. They don't even ask for or want the electronics (even ones designed for their age).

Quoting jobberwocky:

ms-superwoman
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:15 PM
12 moms liked this

ipads and kindles... LOL Seriously, they are toddlers! At 3 and 4 they want to be moving and playing. Not sitting on their asses with tablets.

ARK0501
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:19 PM
3 moms liked this
My now 4yo got an iPod touch last Christmas from my best friend. She has taken great care of it. She also plays outside and with dolls and also knows how to read. Electronics aren't the devil. Lazy parents are.
calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt buy my toddler any electronics, he doesnt take care of his toys well enough to warrant an expensive gift like that. besides i think its sick when I see all my cousins at the Christmas parties glued to their Nintendo Ds or cell phone or whatever. What ever happened to going to the family Christmas party to see and interact with your family. not to play video games.

mariesmama
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

if your 3 year old wants it why not?

My list of toys i would NEVER get any child

dollar store toys

stuffed $1 store animals

handmade things

crafts that are made already

$1 items

my kids 5 & 3 are getting kindle fires this year, last year they got the iPads & the year before DS got the iPod.

TVs were bought for DDs birthday and DS got his TV for christmas i think at 1.

i see nothing wrong with it, if they are going to use it.  i hate buying a gift that will break or last a millisecond.

handmade things?she happens to like the bear i made for her birthday

Sagely
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Funny. I bought the Xbox 360 with Kinect for the family this Christmas. Honestly, we'd all play it, and I know it'd be some good family fun

Dd didn't/wouldn't ask for something like that though. This year, the only thing she wants is a book with Ariel on the cover.
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Video game systems, tablets, ipods, etc. At that age crucial parts of their brains are still developing, why get them into the habit of starring at screens and using a wii for exercise, instead of getting out and doing things and using their imaginations. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN