Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Gifts that are too much for a toddler

Posted by   + Show Post

Can you think of any gifts or toys that are ridiculous to buy for a 3 or 4 year old? For instance:

Xbox 360 w/Kinect

Wii

French bulldog

etc?

If so list them and tell why you think its a bad idea?

P.S- My SS3 mom asked DH to buy SS an Xbox w/Kinect for christmas. I think thats the worst gift idea i've ever heard of!!!

by on Dec. 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM
Replies (31-40):
MandaRose83
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:44 PM

whats wrong with the video game systems? I don't agree with getting young children Ipads, ipods, computers, tvs, etc. But there are video games made specifically for young children. We just bought my soon to be 3 year old a Wii for his bday and bought him Nickelodeons Dance 2. It has all the nick jr characters and they dance along to the songs. He loves it! and it gets him moving!

Nichole0403
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Lol I can't even justify spending the money to get an iPad or kindle fire for myself!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momdays
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:18 PM

My BIL and SIL were talking about buying their almost 5 year old a cell phone this Christmas. Who is a 4 year old gonna talk to?! And a friend I know bought her 2 and 4 year old their own tablets. Not like the leapfrog ones, but actual samsung tablets. I think that is ridiculous.

king04
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

my 4 yr old has innotab that he will get this year for christmas and my 2 yr old daughter has an innotab, dsi, and an iPad mind you the only reason they have these is because my 2 yr old was diagnosed in April with leukemia and we are in the hospital weekly for appointments that last 5 hours normally and she is put in the hospital for 72 hrs if she spikes a fever and most those we spend in isolation because they are not sure why she spiked the fever. These all keep the kids entertained while we are there but when we are home they are put away so they can play with their imaginations.

littlemeg03
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My 4 year old asked for a gameboy DS and I told him no way. He informed me that he would just ask santa b/c he'd bring it for him lol, I just as smugly informed him that I would write santa and tell him not to bring one. No gameboys till he's 7. We do have a family WII.

NiCo86
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
i say no electronics. gifts that are hands on, encourage imagination and learning are what i go for.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nichole0403
by Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
After my 4 yo was diagnosed with leukemia (ALL), he was 3 at the time I got him a mobigo. Other than that we got coloring books and everything under the sun for him to play with, prolly would of been cheaper to get an IPad, lol. Luckly in his clinic every room has a DVD player and Xbox 360, and he hasn't had a hospital stay in a year.

Quoting king04:

my 4 yr old has innotab that he will get this year for christmas and my 2 yr old daughter has an innotab, dsi, and an iPad mind you the only reason they have these is because my 2 yr old was diagnosed in April with leukemia and we are in the hospital weekly for appointments that last 5 hours normally and she is put in the hospital for 72 hrs if she spikes a fever and most those we spend in isolation because they are not sure why she spiked the fever. These all keep the kids entertained while we are there but when we are home they are put away so they can play with their imaginations.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmed07
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM

My Boy loves crafts and home made items. We have a Kinect for some play time. He plays with all sorts of toys. I just try to avoid anything that has small enough parts that get lost and end up in the vacuum. 

king04
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

All of those have been donated to her since she was diagnosed minus the innotab we got them those  see when we are there  the rooms do not have anything in them but a chalkboard and if they remember to bring toys in only time there is a tv is when we are there for an lp. She has had quite a few hospital stays because her counts dropped so low so fast her body responded by a fever then there was chicken poxs. Is your son in treatment still?

Quoting Nichole0403:

After my 4 yo was diagnosed with leukemia (ALL), he was 3 at the time I got him a mobigo. Other than that we got coloring books and everything under the sun for him to play with, prolly would of been cheaper to get an IPad, lol. Luckly in his clinic every room has a DVD player and Xbox 360, and he hasn't had a hospital stay in a year.

Quoting king04:

mommaoftwo
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

my mil bought my 15 month old an Innotab2

and my 3 yr old a tablet made for ages 5-9

and my 7 and 9 yr olds tablets for adults

ugh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN