Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

3 year old behavior

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM
  • 14 Replies
Hi I'm new to this..I'm a mommy to two beautiful little girls. Cadence is 3 and Kailynn is almost 2. Lately me and my fiance have been noticing a change in Cadence's behavior. She doesn't listen to anything we say and tells us to "shut our faces" anong other things. She is also mean to her little sister. We've tried everything to stop this acting out. She also does it to other people and whines to get her way (we don't give into that but my mother does) Cadence acts like she is the boss of the house and tries to tell everyone what to do. She recently started kicking her door when she's mad and pulling her shirt up and saying "look at my boobies" that also occurs when she is mad. I don't know what to do or where she is coming up with this stuff. Everyone says I need to get a behavior coach but I don't know! Any advice would be appreciated!!
Thanks, Megan
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
funhappymom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Hi Megan-

It sounds like she is going through some normal acting out, looking for boundry kind of behavior. Be sure to set boundries for her and keep to it. If your mom is causing problems, I would limit the amount of time she spends with her for now. It's important at this age that good boundries are set and maintained. Good luck.

hugs

Paradys
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM
I have a 3 yr old DD and am goin thru some of the same stuff. I recently discovered a great book called "1, 2, 3 Magic" it's a great discipline and training book that removes all the yelling and arguing (if you follow it correctly).
It has really done wonders for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayLundy3
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM
My three year old has been acting the same.. just terrible. I will look into this book.

Quoting Paradys:

I have a 3 yr old DD and am goin thru some of the same stuff. I recently discovered a great book called "1, 2, 3 Magic" it's a great discipline and training book that removes all the yelling and arguing (if you follow it correctly).

It has really done wonders for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I found it on amazon for, about, $8!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clairewait
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I wrote an article on this a while back. The advice isn't targetted to your exact situation but maybe you will find something helpful:

TERRIBLE 2'S: TELL ME THIS IS JUST A PHASE

Claire Wait

My blog: TheUnderToad.com

2under5.mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 10:08 AM

My DD is 3 turning 4 next month and acts like this too1!! She tells me shes not going to listen to me and when she gets into her tantrums she yells "stop looking at my face!!!" She also always hits her big brother whose 4 turning 5 in January. This morning she kicked him in his nose because she wanted to sit where he was sitting! Im at my wits end with the little lady and im praying that its just a phase! Ive tried the whole Nanny 911 techniques but hthey dont seem to work with her. Im goingto look into that book i see these moms talking about maybe it will shed light on what to do!

Good luck with Cadence!!

whatmynameagain
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM
When ds was 3@18 it was like a switch flipped from our sweet little boy to a creature who acted out all the time. Exhausting. We just implemented consistent time outs every time he acted out consistently, reminded him of ways to behave instead if acting out while he was agreeable and gave positive reinforcement every time he was good, listened gentle with sister, toys ect. Also ignored tantrums. Just stay string and consistent. Remind her often of what you expect in behaviors and praise good things.it will pass then return as they grow good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LACHESIS
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Oh man... my now 5 year and 4 olds were so good when they were 2. I was like where is the terrible 2's at. And then 3's hit and then 4's. Now that the older one is 5, and his sister will be 5 in April... they have calmed down a lot. Little missy pie still has her moments. She is so different from my boys...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BipolarMom09
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:28 PM

My son will be 4 in March and has similar behaviors at times. It is just a phase and I would agree that it is to test boundaries. We stay consistant and use time out with him. We also have sit downs with him and explain why those behaviors are not acceptible and also tell him how we expect him to act and treat others. With my son, he responds much better to 'talking and talks' rather than scolding, yelling, etc. My husband and I have really noticed a difference in his actions once we stopped yelling, scolding, and raising our voices at him or just around him in general. If husband and I have a disagreement or raise our voices, our son gets very loud, angry, and frustrated. So we really just had to pay attention to our surroundings, who was around us and how they acted, really pay attention to what we do regularly that we may not realize, etc. I agree with another Mom that said you should maybe limit the time around the grandmother. My sons don't go around my older brother because of his temper, yelling, cursing, etc. I also limit his time around my friend's 14 year old daughter because she gets annoyed with him and they fight back and forth and then it takes DAAAYS to get him out of those behaviors.
Anyway, hope this helps and you find a solution! Just be consistant and do not give in! If you give in, she will think that if she acts up she will get her way because you gave in last time. If they get what they want just ONE time....they stick with it and keep trying. ;)

momdays
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Hi : ) My son will be 3 in January. His behavior has gotten awful! I keep saying its terrible twos and getting responses from people saying three's are worse! My son has told us to shut out faces too. I notice alot of his behavior is copying off what DH and I do. Like, he points at me and gives me a "death stare" type thing. Drives me nuts! Then I realized, thats what I do to him when he's behaving a way I don't like LOL. And to avoid yelling, I tend to talk to him with my teeth closed. He does his to me and I hate it! Now hitting has started. I'm very big on time out, and spankings if the behavior is bad enough. Hang in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)