Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (111-119):
LiLsMaMa21
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I am 100% on your side. It is soo rude what they are doing. Know it all bitches is what they are being. It's obnoxious! I wouldn't have even posted this if I would have known it would stir up this much drama. I really like this group but this is ridiculous. 

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i apologize for them but not for me. I was being bashed if you havent noticed and they wont leave me alone. I stated in the last harassment that this group has in the guidlelines to be respectful and i have been chewed out for having my kid in a booster seat. So go tell that to them. I am currently done defending myself and will no longer reply to any of them. Im sure i could have stopped replying back but im not gonna let someone run me over. There was more than one person that was on my butt. So i hope they can put it to an end now and stop.Sorry for the trouble that was caused.

Barronbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Oh she is tiny weight wise momma... my dd was like that... low weight really tall I switched her to booster when she turned 6 just to be extra safe. Glad your going to wait another year!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It's typically recommended (in some cases, it's the law), that they be 4 years old AND 40lbs before you move on to a boaster seat. If she is still within the height and weight of her current 5 point harness seat, I would keep her in that.. OR I would upgrade to a 5 point harness that will allow her to stay in one longer.. until she was at least 40lbs. 

Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:18 PM

i know. Its been taken care of. :) I have been in another group before and delt with the same thing. But oh well. im still being harrased and im not gonna feed them anymore. Thats what they want is for me to keep it going. Sorry again.lmao!! We all gont agree on everything but some people just take it WAY  to far because everyone doesnt agree with them

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

I am 100% on your side. It is soo rude what they are doing. Know it all bitches is what they are being. It's obnoxious! I wouldn't have even posted this if I would have known it would stir up this much drama. I really like this group but this is ridiculous. 

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

i apologize for them but not for me. I was being bashed if you havent noticed and they wont leave me alone. I stated in the last harassment that this group has in the guidlelines to be respectful and i have been chewed out for having my kid in a booster seat. So go tell that to them. I am currently done defending myself and will no longer reply to any of them. Im sure i could have stopped replying back but im not gonna let someone run me over. There was more than one person that was on my butt. So i hope they can put it to an end now and stop.Sorry for the trouble that was caused.

in loveangel minitoddler girlbaby girl

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

you know you can delete it right?

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

jjchick75
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

My son is 4 and 45lbs. He'll be in a harness for at least 2 more years. I'm not okay with minimums for my kids. They deserve better than that.

do11face
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Happy to hear you are waiting. ;)

Barronbaby
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Not trying to be mean.... I only read part of the quote tree... but I think what they are saying is why do the BARE minimum? Why not wait an extra year or 2 when she is older and bigger and not at the minimum requirements. But in the middle of minimum and Max. Hope that makes sense and I'm not trying to be mean

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

you are a very rude woman. You should be ashamed of yourself. You dont know me and you have no buisness putting that out there. Being a mother longer than me doesnt give you anymore knowledge than me. goodbye hun

Actually I had kids LONG before you did and I have done loads of research, more than most and what I'm "preaching" is all fact from reputable sources, do you have sources you would like to site.  There are NO cases of broken legs or anything from an older child rear facing, but there are plenty of cases of killed, internally decapited kids. I have surely used booster seats, for my own child and my neices and nephews, I know more than you can imagine. 

go suck an egg lady, you're giving bad advice.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Sorry  but i think you need to do further research too. I never said anything about the law. I said that if it wasnt safe then it wouldnt be allowed for her wieght and hieght...WHICH MEANS: she is perfectly safe in her booster. Do you have one? Have you used one? Evidently not. Then you would know that its SAFE. Of course a harness is gonna be safer. But its not much of a upgrade. We have had a couple of close calls before and She never moved from her spot in her seat anymore than she would in a harnessed seat. I did my research before i bought it. When she was 12 mos and met the SAFTEY REQUIREMENTS for her convertable seat, we moved her into that. Just as when she met the SAFTEY REQUIREMENTS for her booster. She never has trouble sleeping in her seat. The belt is adjusted where it doenst bother her and her head never goes foward. Her headrests in her seat are very comforatable for her and her head never goes anywhere. Very nice designed back in the seat. You would know that if you really used one. There is no way in hell that i would risk my childs life rear facing her at this time. the seat and her hieght is too dangerouse for a 4 yr old to be rearfaced in my vehicle. I cant beleive how ignorent a parent can be to do that with a older child. If a kid is comforable with their legs being squashed and folded and the seat in your car is high enough then go for it. No problem.Thats why i have the booster seat. I suggest you start looking into the real facts about them. "emkirkley" anyway. I am educated with the right and safe facts and i see that we are not gonna agree so you can go back to preaching your crap to someone else. I put in what i know to this ladies post when she was asking so you leave me be...and put in your input to her and stop bashing on mine. I believe that was in the guidelines for this group. Yes we both have our facts. But i know from fact that mine are right. I dont wanna be rude to you either but you just dont get it either.So thanks for your input but no thanks. Ill stick with the safety facts and we are happy with our safe seat.

Quoting emkirkley:

This is one of those things that some people just don't get--i.e. you, Mrs.Bolin

yes it's LEGAL to do so, but it is not the safEST practice to move children from one point to the next at the MINIMUM. The safEST thing is to move a child to a rearfacing convertible seat and leave them rearfacing until they have less than 1" of room above their head and/or hit the weight limit of the seat, THEN move to a harnessed forward facing seat which spreads the forces along the pelvis, sternum and colar bones and leave them there until thy are able to sit the entire trip, every time without leaning, they are over 40lbs, over 40in, don't fall asleep in the car and can be adequately protected by a seatbelt--this doesn't happen for most kids until 5-7 years old at a minimum.  THEN they should stay in a booster seat until 8-12 years of age or until over 80lbs AND over 4'9" tall and meet the 5-step for seat belt readiness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

Saying that it's the law so it's safe is dumb.  it's legal to sell aftermarket car seat products, but that doesn't make them safe.  it's legal to smoke, but that doesn't make it healthy.

While your child may be "safe" she could be SAFER. 

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

exactly...She is in the minimum.Which Means IT IS SAFE to put her into a booster.Duhhh. The point your not getting is...SHE is SAFE. She meets the standards great. Great advise!!  If it wasnt safe to put her in a booster right now then(im talkin about my child) it would not be allowed for her wieght and hieght. Thats where you need to go research more on

Quoting Kris_PBG:

What am I not getting?

You advised someone else that once her child is 40 lbs she should get a booster.

My point was that 4 years of age and 40 lbs was the BARE minimum - not when actually recommended to move into one.

You are following the bare minimums.  Yes.  My point is that is not actually the ideal time to do so.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I dont think you follow your self...Im following the regulations. My child is safe in the booster seat and meets the requirements. I think you need to further your research on this. I really dont wanna be rude to you but you aren't gettin it.

I don't follow.

Do you not think there are safety experts that study crash data, car seat tests, trends and statistics?

It is not like the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

They most certainly exist - they spend their career on this topic - and the recommendations are based on data and realities. 

They are most certainly valid recommendations and not ones I would "scoff" at when my kids safety was at stake.  Certainly not ones I would rebuke when attempting to "advise" others on what to do.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

yeah....EXPERTS. but ok. Not gonna argue with anyone.  I am not getting unnesesary drama goin. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

4 years of age and 40 lbs is a bare minimum as to when safety experts recommend you can consider moving a child to a booster - it is definitely not a "good" time to put them in one if they arbitrarily meet those 2 minimum guidelines.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My daughter is 4 yrs and 41Ibs. She has been in her booster since summer. I would wait till she is 40Ibs before you put her in a booser. When you get there then its probly a good idea to put her in one. We bought one of those Britax harness seats over $250. for my husbands truck because its from the 80s and she needed to be in the middle of the seat and those trucks do not have middle shoulder belts.He had to make his own anchor for it. Thats some crap for those stupid harness seats. She uses the booster in my car. The safty standards for boosters are great!! Its proven.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe GroupAdmin
by Group Admin on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Hi everyone,

This post is now locked.

Please do not personally insult members or fight in the group.

If you have any questions about locked or deleted posts, or if you have a question about the group rules, please send a message to The Cafe Group Admin Team.

Thank you for being a member of this group!

The Cafe Group Admin Team

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN