Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
StrawberryCool
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:26 PM

no i did. 

but my daughter is too big for her car seat....

Quoting busymom64064:

lol WOW........You aren't seeing through what I am saying.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

i lean when i sleep in a car as well. 

Quoting busymom64064:

If she leans when asleep then she isn't ready for a booster.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

The only think I dont like is when she falls asleep she leans too far.

Mom2Ava.Ayden
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:30 PM
My son is 36lbs, is in the 90th percentile as well and sits in a booster seat. He's 4
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tjuhmylove
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:32 PM

My DS is 5 and still in 5 point harness; he can buckle himself when he gets in and unbuckle himself when we get to our destination. We just got him a high back booster to start booster training him in my dads and BIL car when we need a ride and DH is not home. I was surprised how good he does considering he can't sit still for long when at home; however in our car he will ride in a 5 point harness until he is mature and old enough to ride in a high back booster, which I think will not be until he is 7 :0)

busymom64064
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM
I know you mean well for your daughter, but I was just meaning that a child needs to be able to sit and sleep upright properly. Not meaning to be a bitch, just coming from my experience from child passenger safety classes.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

but my daughter is too big for her car seat....

Quoting busymom64064:

lol WOW........You aren't seeing through what I am saying.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

i lean when i sleep in a car as well. 

Quoting busymom64064:

If she leans when asleep then she isn't ready for a booster.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

The only think I dont like is when she falls asleep she leans too far.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:37 PM
My DS is five and still harnessed. He still has a few inches to go before he outgrows it, so that's how long he'll be in it. Also, I've tried his seat in booster mode and buckling it with a seat next to it is almost impossible. Since we have 3 kids in our backseat, that's an issue. We'll have to get him a dedicated booster for it to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiLsMaMa21
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

I was thinking the same thing. My husband and I were thinking we were going to wait until she was 5 or 6. Our neighbor has been pushing the issue because she wants to take her out and she's worried about what a car seat will do to her car...yeah I know. Lol. So I just texted her and told her not to get the booster seat. She's probably going to get a little upset... I hope not but I'm not budging. 

Your neighbor needs to mind her own business and learn boundaries.

Whoa!! It's not like that at all. She means well. She just is older and back in the days when she was raising her son it wasn't as big of an issue. I mean, I remember sitting in the front seat when I was five! That was back before people were more educated about theses kinds of things. 

mom2ljh
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Not even close. Height is a big factor for boosters BUT the absolute minimum is four years AND 40lbs. Less than that and she can submarine (slide under the lap portion of the belt) in an accident and suffer severe or fatal injuries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:11 PM
How tall is she? Ds is 30lbs and about 39 inches. He's still harnessed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM

My DS is 6 and he is in a booster since he was a little past 5 only because he complained it hurt his "nuts"(in his words). His seats also go from 5 pounds to 100 pounds with adjustable back height. My DD is almost 3 and is 35 pounds and just turned FF and she will be harnessed until the 65 pound limit on her seat which I am sure she will reach before the height.

Long story short keep her harnessed.

ATG499
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:17 PM
She'll be safest in a harness until she's at least 40lbs. She also needs to be mature enough to sit in a booster correctly 100% of the time. Most children aren't mature enough for a booster seat until they're 5-6yrs old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)