Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Not sure why you are being hostile, I was only giving you something to consider as an option.  Your child, your choice.  You said she had outgrown her seat, I was merely pointing out there were other options out there.   You don't have to buy a new seat every 6 months if you buy the right seat the first time.  The seat my kids are in can be used from infant up until where my son is now.  $140 for 5-7 years of use makes a lot of sense to me.  I don't put a price tag on safety especially when there are great trade-in programs and such thru places like Toys R Us.  Sorry if you can't take suggestions.  Good night.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

yes, well not sure if you've looked at the prices lately...but car seats are EXPENSIVE. 

and i am not going to be buyingon a seat every six months

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I don't have an opinion one way or another on whether your dd is in a booster or not because she clearly meets the minimum standards but I just wanted to point out that there are 5 points that have a higher limit if she's outgrown whatever she was in.  My son will be 6 next week and is roughly 48 inches (average height) and 55lbs and fits very comfortably in his True Fit 5 point and probably has at least another 6-12 months in it.  I believe Britax has larger limits as well.  Again, totally your call I'm just pointing this out in case you want another option as a 5 point is obviously the safer option for as long as possible.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

but my daughter is too big for her car seat....

Quoting busymom64064:

lol WOW........You aren't seeing through what I am saying.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

i lean when i sleep in a car as well. 

Quoting busymom64064:

If she leans when asleep then she isn't ready for a booster.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

The only think I dont like is when she falls asleep she leans too far.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting LiLsMaMa21:

I was thinking the same thing. My husband and I were thinking we were going to wait until she was 5 or 6. Our neighbor has been pushing the issue because she wants to take her out and she's worried about what a car seat will do to her car...yeah I know. Lol. So I just texted her and told her not to get the booster seat. She's probably going to get a little upset... I hope not but I'm not budging. 

Your neighbor needs to mind her own business and learn boundaries.

Whoa!! It's not like that at all. She means well. She just is older and back in the days when she was raising her son it wasn't as big of an issue. I mean, I remember sitting in the front seat when I was five! That was back before people were more educated about theses kinds of things. 

Getting upset over YOUR choices for your child and pushing the issue on you seems as if she doesn't understand what boundaries mean. I'm also not sure how she *means well* if she is worried what the car seat will do to her car. IMO, of course.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:32 AM

She doesn't evem meet the minimum standards. We use the Britax and we won't have to buy another seat at all. It will last until my 5 year old is safe enough to come out of it and that will be many years for now. Even if it didn't, I'd rather buy a new car seat every year(that's a ridiculous assesment anyway) than have my child get injured or die in an accident over money.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I don't have an opinion one way or another on whether your dd is in a booster or not because she clearly meets the minimum standards but I just wanted to point out that there are 5 points that have a higher limit if she's outgrown whatever she was in.  My son will be 6 next week and is roughly 48 inches (average height) and 55lbs and fits very comfortably in his True Fit 5 point and probably has at least another 6-12 months in it.  I believe Britax has larger limits as well.  Again, totally your call I'm just pointing this out in case you want another option as a 5 point is obviously the safer option for as long as possible.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

Quoting busymom64064:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Quoting busymom64064:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I was in a booster by 4 and sittin in the seat with out a booster by 6 check with local laws and follow them.

Tree-Tree
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Most states have a 4 and 40 law that being said there is a lot of maturity involved in being booster ready. state laws are minimum. My child is not a minimum. And I am sure you dont think yours is either. Keep her harnessed,  booster train her and when she is using the booster correctly 100% of the time then you can make the transition.

Savmaralamommy
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM
I can't add anything to what these ladies have already said, BUT I do want to say that I am happy to see so many kids still being harnassed past four and in boosters beyond five and six. :)
mskeeinmd
by Tikeetha on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
My son is 4 1/2 and weighs 45 pounds and I still have him in a 5 point harness. I like the security of it.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I do agree with you although I'm fairly certain most areas are 4 and 40lbs and she said her daughter is 4 and 50lbs so she would qualify based on that assessment.  Obviously not the safest choice which is why I mentioned getting a larger seat BUT as long as it's legal, she has to make her decisions based off of whether or not she can live with the consequences of those choices.  If she can, then it's her call.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

She doesn't evem meet the minimum standards. We use the Britax and we won't have to buy another seat at all. It will last until my 5 year old is safe enough to come out of it and that will be many years for now. Even if it didn't, I'd rather buy a new car seat every year(that's a ridiculous assesment anyway) than have my child get injured or die in an accident over money.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

That's my bad. I read it as 3 years old, not 4. It's still not safe.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I do agree with you although I'm fairly certain most areas are 4 and 40lbs and she said her daughter is 4 and 50lbs so she would qualify based on that assessment.  Obviously not the safest choice which is why I mentioned getting a larger seat BUT as long as it's legal, she has to make her decisions based off of whether or not she can live with the consequences of those choices.  If she can, then it's her call.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

Simple-Beauty
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Funerals are expensive.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

yes, well not sure if you've looked at the prices lately...but car seats are EXPENSIVE. 

and i am not going to be buyingon a seat every six months

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

Quoting busymom64064:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

Quoting busymom64064:

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)