Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (61-70):
stephjohn
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM
What's that?

Quoting emkirkley:

that's fine and dandy, but a 30lb child (i.e. the OPs child) is NOT safe in a booster because of submarining, whether the booster states the minimum is 30lbs or not.

Quoting stephjohn:

my child weighs 60 lbs and is 7.

Quoting babyspots17:

Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

i do a high back booster. they start at 30lbs. others start at 40 lbs.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

submarining is sliding under the lap portion of the seatbelt because it cannot be held tightly enough down on the thighs for proper protection.  It's part of why booster seats are so important to start with.  If a child slides down and under a portion of the seatbelt it opens them up to internal damages, broken ribs and strangulation by the seat belt.  Children under 40lbs even in a booster are at a very big risk of this happening.  This is also why children should pass the 5-step test to be able to sit without a booster, whether they reach the minimum the law states or not. My very big for her age 11 year old has only been out of a booster for a year because she didn't meet all the requirements of the 5-step test.

Quoting stephjohn:

What's that?

Quoting emkirkley:

that's fine and dandy, but a 30lb child (i.e. the OPs child) is NOT safe in a booster because of submarining, whether the booster states the minimum is 30lbs or not.

Quoting stephjohn:

my child weighs 60 lbs and is 7.

Quoting babyspots17:

Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

i do a high back booster. they start at 30lbs. others start at 40 lbs.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM

No way! She is not even at the MINIMUM for a booster seat. She needs to be 4 years AND 40 pounds.  She is much, much safer in a harnessed seat.

LACHESIS
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:16 PM
My kids can unlock their 5pt harness car seats too, but I am not going to move them out yet. They both know not to take them off until the van is turned off. I have a 5yr old and a soon to be 5yr old.
2under5.mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I got pulled over and had my son 4 in a booster seat the cop gave me a ticket and said he has to be atleast 80lbs to be in that seat! He said he needs to be either in a 5pt harness or a booster seat with the back attached.

busymom64064
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Sucks you got a ticket, but great th at the chop was educated/posting attention

Quoting 2under5.mom:

I got pulled over and had my son 4 in a booster seat the cop gave me a ticket and said he has to be atleast 80lbs to be in that seat! He said he needs to be either in a 5pt harness or a booster seat with the back attached.

2under5.mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

have you thought about getting the safety locks for the carseat? It goes over part that goes over there chest and one goes over the one inbetween there legs...my daughter figured out how to get out of hers too and i went right away to buy the lock!

Quoting LACHESIS:

My kids can unlock their 5pt harness car seats too, but I am not going to move them out yet. They both know not to take them off until the van is turned off. I have a 5yr old and a soon to be 5yr old.

LACHESIS
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Where did you find the lock and how much?

I do not mind, as they do not take them off until the car/van is turned off. Although... we pulled into the carport today and I still had the engine on, but car in park and I heard "click, click". Neither has ever (in 2 years at least) taken their belts off. :/ I use "that guy was pulled over for drinking, smoking, not wearing a seatbelt, hanging out the window...." rofl....
My 4 year old daughter won't even take hers off while waiting for her brother at school... even if the car is off. I have tried to get her to sit up front with me (sometimes we are really early). But nope.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

have you thought about getting the safety locks for the carseat? It goes over part that goes over there chest and one goes over the one inbetween there legs...my daughter figured out how to get out of hers too and i went right away to buy the lock!

Quoting LACHESIS:

2under5.mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM

i got it at babies r us for like 20 bucks!

Quoting LACHESIS:

I do not mind, as they do not take them off until the car/van is turned off. Although... we pulled into the carport today and I still had the engine on, but car in park and I heard "click, click". Neither has ever (in 2 years at least) taken their belts off. :/ I use "that guy was pulled over for drinking, smoking, not wearing a seatbelt, hanging out the window...." rofl....
My 4 year old daughter won't even take hers off while waiting for her brother at school... even if the car is off. I have tried to get her to sit up front with me (sometimes we are really early). But nope.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

Quoting LACHESIS:

LACHESIS
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I may just go check it out :) But they have never taken off their seatbelt while the car was in drive/moving.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

i got it at babies r us for like 20 bucks!

Quoting LACHESIS:

Quoting 2under5.mom:

Quoting LACHESIS:

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN