Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (81-90):
danielita77
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
They should also be in the center of the back seat. I see way too many small children improperly restrained. Can you believe some people still ride with children on their laps where I live?!

Quoting Gweneveer:

I'm pretty sure you need to be 40 lbs for a booster seat, regardless of height. I would definitely keep her in a 5 pt harness. There are car seats out there that harness to 60 lbs. My almost 6 yr old is 90th percentile for both height and weight and is still harnessed. Safety should come first!!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Oh I believe it.  Last year in my dd's preschool class, I couldnt BELIEVE how many parents I saw just put the kids in the backseat with NO CAR SEAT at all.  At 4?  Absurd!

Quoting danielita77:

They should also be in the center of the back seat. I see way too many small children improperly restrained. Can you believe some people still ride with children on their laps where I live?!

Quoting Gweneveer:

I'm pretty sure you need to be 40 lbs for a booster seat, regardless of height. I would definitely keep her in a 5 pt harness. There are car seats out there that harness to 60 lbs. My almost 6 yr old is 90th percentile for both height and weight and is still harnessed. Safety should come first!!!

capfelbeck
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM
All the kids at my DD preschool get put in lbb or hbb and I cringe Every time

Quoting Gweneveer:

Oh I believe it.  Last year in my dd's preschool class, I couldnt BELIEVE how many parents I saw just put the kids in the backseat with NO CAR SEAT at all.  At 4?  Absurd!

Quoting danielita77:

Quoting Gweneveer:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Center isn't feasible for some, but back seat definitely, our state doesn't allow kids in the front seat except in trucks until they are over 6 years old.

I see kids in laps, 10 people in a 7 passenger van, 7 or 8 people crammed into a 5 or 6 passenger car...it's nutso.

DH made the police dept bring him a ticket book a few weeks ago because they were going down the highway and a kid in the car in front of him was crawling back and forth in the back window totally unrestrained.  He doesn't normally make traffic stops (he's a parole officer), but he did for that and the sheriff heard the call come across and came out himself because he knows DH personally and "had to see what was going on if he made a stop"

Quoting danielita77:

Quoting Gweneveer:

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:31 PM

That falls under the "no aftermarket products" rule, and they are not at all a safe idea.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

have you thought about getting the safety locks for the carseat? It goes over part that goes over there chest and one goes over the one inbetween there legs...my daughter figured out how to get out of hers too and i went right away to buy the lock!

Quoting LACHESIS:

My kids can unlock their 5pt harness car seats too, but I am not going to move them out yet. They both know not to take them off until the van is turned off. I have a 5yr old and a soon to be 5yr old.

newbabystarr09
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Thank you for posting this question OP I have been wondering the same thing

CafeMom Tickers  

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Your child's life isn't worth $80.  Sorry, but you fail.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

yes, well not sure if you've looked at the prices lately...but car seats are EXPENSIVE. 

and i am not going to be buyingon a seat every six months

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I don't have an opinion one way or another on whether your dd is in a booster or not because she clearly meets the minimum standards but I just wanted to point out that there are 5 points that have a higher limit if she's outgrown whatever she was in.  My son will be 6 next week and is roughly 48 inches (average height) and 55lbs and fits very comfortably in his True Fit 5 point and probably has at least another 6-12 months in it.  I believe Britax has larger limits as well.  Again, totally your call I'm just pointing this out in case you want another option as a 5 point is obviously the safer option for as long as possible.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

no i did. 

but my daughter is too big for her car seat....

Quoting busymom64064:

lol WOW........You aren't seeing through what I am saying.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

i lean when i sleep in a car as well. 

Quoting busymom64064:

If she leans when asleep then she isn't ready for a booster.

Quoting StrawberryCool:

My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

The only think I dont like is when she falls asleep she leans too far.

newbabystarr09
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I use to have my DD in the center of the back seat but since I had her little brother I can't do that anymore..I wish I could put them both in the middle..

Quoting danielita77:

Quoting Gweneveer:

LiLsMaMa21
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting newbabystarr09:

Thank you for posting this question OP I have been wondering the same thing

No problem! I did do some research after posting but I wanted to know what other parents did too :)

mirage74
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Great question!  Here is a site that explains just that.  http://www.babycenter.com/404_when-should-my-child-switch-from-a-car-seat-to-a-booster-sea_69823.bc

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)