Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM
Replies (91-100):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

My daughter is 4 yrs and 41Ibs. She has been in her booster since summer. I would wait till she is 40Ibs before you put her in a booser. When you get there then its probly a good idea to put her in one. We bought one of those Britax harness seats over $250. for my husbands truck because its from the 80s and she needed to be in the middle of the seat and those trucks do not have middle shoulder belts.He had to make his own anchor for it. Thats some crap for those stupid harness seats. She uses the booster in my car. The safty standards for boosters are great!! Its proven.

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

4 years of age and 40 lbs is a bare minimum as to when safety experts recommend you can consider moving a child to a booster - it is definitely not a "good" time to put them in one if they arbitrarily meet those 2 minimum guidelines.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My daughter is 4 yrs and 41Ibs. She has been in her booster since summer. I would wait till she is 40Ibs before you put her in a booser. When you get there then its probly a good idea to put her in one. We bought one of those Britax harness seats over $250. for my husbands truck because its from the 80s and she needed to be in the middle of the seat and those trucks do not have middle shoulder belts.He had to make his own anchor for it. Thats some crap for those stupid harness seats. She uses the booster in my car. The safty standards for boosters are great!! Its proven.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

yeah....EXPERTS. but ok. Not gonna argue with anyone.  I am not getting unnesesary drama goin. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

4 years of age and 40 lbs is a bare minimum as to when safety experts recommend you can consider moving a child to a booster - it is definitely not a "good" time to put them in one if they arbitrarily meet those 2 minimum guidelines.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

in loveangel minitoddler girlbaby girl

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I don't follow.

Do you not think there are safety experts that study crash data, car seat tests, trends and statistics?

It is not like the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

They most certainly exist - they spend their career on this topic - and the recommendations are based on data and realities. 

They are most certainly valid recommendations and not ones I would "scoff" at when my kids safety was at stake.  Certainly not ones I would rebuke when attempting to "advise" others on what to do.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

yeah....EXPERTS. but ok. Not gonna argue with anyone.  I am not getting unnesesary drama goin. 

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I dont think you follow your self...Im following the regulations. My child is safe in the booster seat and meets the requirements. I think you need to further your research on this. I really dont wanna be rude to you but you aren't gettin it.

I don't follow.

Do you not think there are safety experts that study crash data, car seat tests, trends and statistics?

They most certainly exist - they spend their career on this topic - and the recommendations are based on data and realities. 

They are most certainly valid recommendations and not ones I would "scoff" at when my kids safety was at stake.  Certainly not ones I would rebuke when attempting to "advise" others on what to do.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM

What am I not getting?

You advised someone else that once her child is 40 lbs she should get a booster.

My point was that 4 years of age and 40 lbs was the BARE minimum - not when actually recommended to move into one.

You are following the bare minimums.  Yes.  My point is that is not actually the ideal time to do so.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I dont think you follow your self...Im following the regulations. My child is safe in the booster seat and meets the requirements. I think you need to further your research on this. I really dont wanna be rude to you but you aren't gettin it.

I don't follow.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM
If it were me i would keep her harnessed. my son is 5 and still harnessed even though he is old enough and big enough for a booster. Every step up in carseat is a step down in safety.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:07 AM

exactly...She is in the minimum.Which Means IT IS SAFE to put her into a booster.Duhhh. The point your not getting is...SHE is SAFE. She meets the standards great. Great advise!!  If it wasnt safe to put her in a booster right now then(im talkin about my child) it would not be allowed for her wieght and hieght. Thats where you need to go research more on

Quoting Kris_PBG:

What am I not getting?

You advised someone else that once her child is 40 lbs she should get a booster.

My point was that 4 years of age and 40 lbs was the BARE minimum - not when actually recommended to move into one.

You are following the bare minimums.  Yes.  My point is that is not actually the ideal time to do so.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I don't follow.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Kris_PBG
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Oh dear.

Bare minimums are very far from what is "recommended".

You seem to think the two terms are interchangeable. They are not.

There are many things in life I would need to research further before commenting on them. This topic isn't one of them.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a difference between bare minimum standards and expert recommendations.  Remember ff'ing legal limits are 1 year and 20lbs. Recommendations by experts is rear facing until 2...  There was a time when seatbelts were available but not legally required.  Sure, you wouldn't get a ticket for NOT wearing one but was it the safest choice?  Not so much...  That's the point that she's making.  Yes, you will not get a ticket for having your child in a booster but it's not recommended because their necks and spines are still so fragile.  You don't have to follow the experts advice but don't think, for one second, that your 4 year old is safer in a booster seat vs. a 5 point just because she meets the BARE MINIMUM requirements set forth by some suits in an office somewhere who drew an arbitrary line... 

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

exactly...She is in the minimum.Which Means IT IS SAFE to put her into a booster.Duhhh. The point your not getting is...SHE is SAFE. She meets the standards great. Great advise!!  If it wasnt safe to put her in a booster right now then(im talkin about my child) it would not be allowed for her wieght and hieght. Thats where you need to go research more on

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)