Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 29 mo old daughter has been whining that she wants to go to school with her brother. She also hasn't been too happy to come home from outings. She needs more stimulation!

I just started doing research for a part-time program. I would love to send her off to a fun program, but everything is preschool/daycare based. I am a SAHM and not working, so the cost of these things is a lil much.

There are plenty of playgroups nearby. Enough to go to a different one everday of the week. But only 2 local on Monday & Tuesday. If I bring her to any more, I feel like it might be a bit much for her considering it wouold be 3 different playgroups 3 days a week. And not just her, but I would be prone to confusion myself!

The library & nearby Barnes & Noble aren't having any type of storytimes right now. The library is walking distance and the kids do enjoy it, but it's short lived with a 2 year old and a 9 year old with Special Needs. Outdoor time is getting sparse as the cold weather kicks in.

Please send some suggestions my way as far as what I might look into in our local community & what I can do to make life at home all day with a 2.5 year old more interesting. Thanks in advance!

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (11-19):
babowes
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Glad you found something that workd for you. Sometimes a momma break is worth budgeting for!!!!

Quoting Larsbug:

when DS1 was around 2 we were told about a church who did playschool, and then you go up through the years so he in the same church but now he's in preschool, then pre-k, then K... it costs us $155 a month for 4 hours, 2 days a week and he loved it. I am a SAHM mom as well, and our income is limited in what we can do but it would cost triple that for daycare same amount of time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM
We are moving to a much more expensive area. So we are deciding not to put our last child in preschool. We found a free storytime twice a week, and a couple of fun programs that add to way less than preschool. My dd is only going to be 3 in april.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mamalusbear
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Can you try something like Gymboree or My Gym?  My son is really active  and it's great because he gets to run around, play, socialize.....also it's nice to get out and talk to the other Mommies.

JocelynsMama1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:14 PM

see if any of the gyms have a preschool open gym....we have one open from 10-12 on fridays and its jsut for 5 and under so we have mainly 2, 3, and 4 year olds

ihave1
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I drop my 2 year old off at a place called PLAY DATE it is sort of like a daycare only you can only leave them for up to four hours in one day.  She loves this place & never wants to leave when I come get her.  Try to see if you have a place like this,  mine only cost $6 an hour.  It's not bad at all.

Larsbug
by Laura on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:27 PM

it REALLY really is lol... course I have an 8 month old too but he usually takes a nap around the time that DS1 is in school.

Quoting babowies:

Glad you found something that workd for you. Sometimes a momma break is worth budgeting for!!!!

Quoting Larsbug:

when DS1 was around 2 we were told about a church who did playschool, and then you go up through the years so he in the same church but now he's in preschool, then pre-k, then K... it costs us $155 a month for 4 hours, 2 days a week and he loved it. I am a SAHM mom as well, and our income is limited in what we can do but it would cost triple that for daycare same amount of time.

Nichole0403
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM
In my area they have Cooperative preschools. You work 3 or 4 days a month or so for a couple hours and the tuition is like $60 a month for 3 hours a day. I have never done it but it gives you some time to yourself and your child will get socialization. Maybe they have something like that around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cmorris1200
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Our local parks and rec has drop off classes for 2.5 yo and up.  They are very reasonable.   Art and craft or structured physical play classes

doulala
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Rotating playdates ?

You can find a few other moms and rotate houses that host.    Maybe throw in a park or zoo, etc visit in there, meet 2ce/week, do crafts, bake, etc.
:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN