Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice needed: my 2 year old getting violent for attention

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
  • 25 Replies
My son is 2 years old, and has always been a tantrum kind of kid. I finally learned to ignore the tantrum until he is calm and ready to talk. The problem is, he now will start to hit his head up against any object (floor, wall, hands, you name it) to get my attention. What do I do?
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen6807
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM
My dd who is now 5 always did that. I still haven't been able to get her to quit. She will hit herself, pull out her hair, and bite herself when she gets mad at me. I have cried and told her it hurts my feeling to see her hurt herself. And I guess I'm really no help sorry...and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

Have you had him checked for any behavioral issues?

Quoting Wesellie:

My son is 2 years old, and has always been a tantrum kind of kid. I finally learned to ignore the tantrum until he is calm and ready to talk. The problem is, he now will start to hit his head up against any object (floor, wall, hands, you name it) to get my attention. What do I do?

blissfulmama80
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

My uncle used to do that... he would sit and bang his head on the floor.  My grandma got so sick of it she finally helped him one day... took her hand and thumped his head against the floor.  I guess he didn't do it after that.  NOT saying the way to handle it... that was, of course, like 40 years ago.  I'd pry take him to be seen to make sure there wasn't something wrong... maybe some behavior training.  Maybe all it takes is to ignore it??  I know kids do it... the pedi would maybe have some ideas.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I agree with blissfulmama80.  Not about what our grandma did though LOL.

But ignoring it further.......or speak to the pedi about it.  They could give you ideas to handle the situation.

Wesellie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:04 PM
It's comforting knowing your not the only parent, right!? Well, if one of us makes progress we can report back to the other! Best of luck to you and your girl!

Quoting jen6807:

My dd who is now 5 always did that. I still haven't been able to get her to quit. She will hit herself, pull out her hair, and bite herself when she gets mad at me. I have cried and told her it hurts my feeling to see her hurt herself. And I guess I'm really no help sorry...and good luck!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wesellie
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Yes, and his pediatrician said he looked like a normal toddler to him and not to worry. I will continue to ask all the pediatricians in the office. What behavioral issues do you think are linked to this?

Quoting amonkeymom:

Welcome!

Quoting Wesellie:

LACHESIS
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Could he be upset because he isn't verbal enough yet? I know *I* was told that with my kids. My daughter especially... holy moley. :/ But she doesn't do it anymore.
amonkeymom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Oh goodness... there could be so many different ones from ADHD to autism spectrum to.... who knows.  It could very well just be normal behavior as well, especially if he doesn't know any other way to express his frustration.

Quoting Wesellie:

Yes, and his pediatrician said he looked like a normal toddler to him and not to worry. I will continue to ask all the pediatricians in the office. What behavioral issues do you think are linked to this?

Quoting amonkeymom:

Welcome!

Quoting Wesellie:

laughnchica
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I think it is more along the lines of being so frustrated with himself or the situation. My 3 year old would hit or kick the wall; sometimes bang her head but I just ignored it as she wasn't doing it hard enough to REALLY damage herself. She came to the conclusion herself that it was only really hurting her and eventually stopped. I have had friends who would just hug their kids until they calmed down in order to not hurt themselves. It is hard for me because I don't want to give that behavior attention but it is worrisome to just ignore them and let them go at it. We need a padded room like at the psych ward for the toddler years lol

laughnchica
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I would like to add that she was not doing the head banging against the wall thing constantly or for very long periods of time. Maybe a couple bangs. She would mostly use her hands and feet.....just throwing that out there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)