Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Frustrating and Concerning Behaviors

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM
  • 13 Replies
My son will be 5 in March and he is almost to the point of being out of control. Kicking and hitting my boyfriends younger kids and kids at his school, even his teacher. He doesn't want to do work at preschool and doesn't follow directions there our at home. We can't even get him to play by himself. He wants to be around me and is constantly under my feet and following me around the house. Tonight he refused to eat and snuck his chicken into the trash. I am at a loss. Time out and spanking don't phase him anymore and I'm concerned of what else he could do. His anger level is unbelievable for a child his age. Please, please help!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BipolarMom09
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Have you tried just having a sit down with him and talking to him about how his behavior is not acceptible and nice? Our oldest DS will be 4 in March and hits his little brother and is going through the back talking phase and we do time out for the more severe things and then we sit and talk with him for the other stuff. He is a child that sitting down and having a one on one talk with him works best.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Have you considered bringing him to a child psychologist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Have you talked to his ped about it? If not, I would. Good luck

emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 8:56 AM

read have a new kid by friday and set up a doctor's appointment to have him evaluated for underlying conditions.

Katie7388
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM
I've talked to him MANY times. Just can't get through to him. And we go to a counselor but still not making much progress doing what she tells us. We think he may be ADD but they won't test him til he is 5. It's putting major strain on my bf and I's relationship also. I'm just at the end of my rope.
PEEK05
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I'm sorry I don't know. My kids haven't behaved that way. :( I hope you find something that works!

sumannie
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe hes acting out bc its not just him, like hes wanting your attention no matter what kind of thing. You said that there are other children so that could be the case and the attentions not fully on him. It could also be something else too.
Katie7388
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I know. He is used to it only being me and him but he is extremely attatched and clingy and we are trying to break him of that. Also, we have been with my bf and his kids for 9 months. Shouldn't he be adjusting better? He still hasn't bonded with my bf and he tries so hard to do things with him. It's just hard not knowing what's bothering him. He won't tell anyone and we don't know how to make things better without knowing.
sumannie
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
Quoting Katie7388:

I know. He is used to it only being me and him but he is extremely attatched and clingy and we are trying to break him of that. Also, we have been with my bf and his kids for 9 months. Shouldn't he be adjusting better? He still hasn't bonded with my bf and he tries so hard to do things with him. It's just hard not knowing what's bothering him. He won't tell anyone and we don't know how to make things better without knowing.
A lot of kids have a hard time adjusting to situations like that so they act out bc they feel that theres no other way anyone will listen. Just give him some time, even tho its been soo long, to come to accept that in his own way you know. But in the mean time definitely work on his behavior and sit and talk to him and explain that even if the attention not on him that hes still your little one and always will be no matter what. Just stay positive.
joycehunter
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Something that my son s doctor recommended was play therapy. It helpsyoung children to play the reason that there so mad, and at the same teaches them how to express out in a more healthier way. Hope it works for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)