Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taking away her binky

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

My daughter is two years old. She screams for her binky at night time. How do I gradually take this away from her! I know she is old enough to self soothe, but she seems to want her binky. She also has always been an all night sleeper. 

Jenna Rose =]

by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:29 PM
1 mom liked this

lose it cold turkey. dont gradually do it. Just make them disapear. its the only way

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:36 PM
We told my dd that we weren't buying anymore. That when she lost it but holes in them that was it. She lost her last one right after she turned 3. She has done fine ever since
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:37 PM

My son had his until he was 3 (only for sleeping).  They don't cause dental issues until after 3, closer to 4.  My daughter was born when my son was almost 2 years 8 months and the dentist said to just let him keep it because I had a new baby, he was napping for 3-4 hours and sleeping 10-12 hours.  We finally took it away cold turkey when he turned 3.

If you really need to get rid of it, I always use cold turkey.  It's just better to rip the bandaid off quickly IMO.  Kids adapt quickly when they need too and gradual will just prolong the process. 

Mommynwife26
by Member on Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
My dd is 2 and still has hers for nap/bed. Her dentist said he wouldn't worry till 3/4 especially since its not all the time. I plan on letting her decide when she's ready. I mever offer it to her and only give it when she asks. I know there will be a day she stops asking....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blissfulmama80
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

My DD is 2.5 yo... she is VEEEERY attached to her bink.  We finally got it down to her only using them when sleeping (nap/night time).  We talk about her getting to big for them and that they're going to start getting holes in them.  We already had her toss one away (I'd cut the tip off).  I told her that she could have a special toy if she could go to bed without it.  She wants a Mickey Mouse stuffed doll.  That's what we did with DD1... we got her a special stuffed animal to replace the bink... it worked great!  I'm hoping it'll work with DD2, as well... but she is pretty attached to that thing... maybe more so than DD1.  :/

Mom2Ava.Ayden
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:31 AM
My dd is 14 months and I took her's away 2weeks after she came home. She never cried so it was nothing. My DS who's 4 now never had one, DH didn't want him to get attached. But he caved with DD...didn't last long obv.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tifbrown
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:47 AM

With my daughter I started by hiding it. I would let her go for periods without it and gradually increased that time. Then, I started telling her she could only have it at naps and bed time. That's when I started telling her it was time to get rid of it. I showed her pictures of crooked teeth and braces on google and get her aunty who had braces to show her. It kind of clicked for her. We set a date on the calendar and we kept making off the days until it was time. I scouerd the house and eventually found them all, except her last one. When the day came she threw it in the garbage herself and I took it out immediately. She has 2 rough days and after that she never had another issue. 

CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Cold turkey..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadKiddo
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I cut the tip off my ds's nuk. he never wanted it after that. some kids do, and you keep trimming it every few days til there is nothing left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sspaschal2427
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM
I did the same thing with DD... She didn't cry after 3 nights.

Quoting SadKiddo:

I cut the tip off my ds's nuk. he never wanted it after that. some kids do, and you keep trimming it every few days til there is nothing left.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)