Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

preschooler meltdowns... advice please!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM
  • 7 Replies
My oldest will turn 4 in February. He is in speech therapy, is refusing potty training (did ok for a while, then rebelled), and still speaks some gibberish. This past week he has started having extreme meltdowns. You can't talk to him, touch him, or get a response from him. He just cries hysterically. The last time was in the Target checkout. I paid for my stuff, went out to the car, and unloaded my cart with him screaming the whole time. It took all I had to get him into the car, but he wouldn't let me strap him in. For the next 20 minutes, I completely ignored him until he calmed down a little. I asked him a question, more crying. When he got to the point where I thought he was ready to be strapped in, I walked to his side of the car and tried to get him to sit in his seat. After 5 minutes of him refusing, I firmly told him no more trains, no more Thomas the Train until he got in his seat. He pondered this for a few minutes, then calmly got into his seat and I had no more trouble. Did I do the right thing? How are you supposed to handle situations like these? Do I need to have him screened for autism? Am I overthinking it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
piwife
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM
I personally would.my son is almost 4 and has never done that so am not sure if that's normal for his age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:41 PM
If you think something is even slightly off balance it would be good to look into it. If he is having a hard time communicating he may be super frustrated. 4 year olds have minds that are constantly coming up with new cool ideas and to not not be able to express them all the way would be so hard. I definately see nothing wrong with him losing Thomas over that huge fit. He needs to cooperate especially with the carseat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CollinMommy
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Quoting FarmGirl2B:

My oldest will turn 4 in February. He is in speech therapy, is refusing potty training (did ok for a while, then rebelled), and still speaks some gibberish. This past week he has started having extreme meltdowns. You can't talk to him, touch him, or get a response from him. He just cries hysterically. The last time was in the Target checkout. I paid for my stuff, went out to the car, and unloaded my cart with him screaming the whole time. It took all I had to get him into the car, but he wouldn't let me strap him in. For the next 20 minutes, I completely ignored him until he calmed down a little. I asked him a question, more crying. When he got to the point where I thought he was ready to be strapped in, I walked to his side of the car and tried to get him to sit in his seat. After 5 minutes of him refusing, I firmly told him no more trains, no more Thomas the Train until he got in his seat. He pondered this for a few minutes, then calmly got into his seat and I had no more trouble. Did I do the right thing? How are you supposed to handle situations like these? Do I need to have him screened for autism? Am I overthinking it?

My son is being screening for Autism now and has the same kind of meltdowns. Typical kids usually get over their meltdowns within a few minutes, my son's can last all day long, and sometimes days on end!!! It would never hurt to have him screened!! worst case, maybe he just needs some help understanding his own emiotions! My son is 3 will be 4 in May. 

CafeMom Tickers
PEEK05
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM

He does not sound autistic at all.

Do you ask him why he is behaving that way? Tell him to tell you that he needs to use his words for you to be able to understand what is going on so you can help him figure it out?

FarmGirl2B
by on Dec. 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM
He wouldn't know how to answer a question like that. Unless it's yes or no. If he does he never has.

Quoting PEEK05:

He does not sound autistic at all.

Do you ask him why he is behaving that way? Tell him to tell you that he needs to use his words for you to be able to understand what is going on so you can help him figure it out?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Her doesn't sound autistic, but maybe his lack of communication is affecting him?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JATaft828
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:12 PM

My son is 3, he has not had an outburst for quit awhile, I know it's normal for some children, but you could have him screened because of the gibberish, I did take things away for breakdowns when he had them, He learned that it had a consequence and now he knows how to make better choices and caught on quickly, he now knows how to handle himself. I noticed most of his was when he was overy tired or hungry. Maybe carry a favorite snack with you, I would definitely try a few things before automatically saying it's this. You may find it's a phase and help find the best way to help him work through them. Never let him see your frustration in it, and if we don't teach them how to communicate there feelings or that there will be consequences it will continue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)