Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

LO snuggles with you!?! How!?!

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM
  • 28 Replies
Hey everyone! Ever since the day Jasper was born I've been a big fan of Babycenter and CafeMoM, therefore I do a shit ton of reading, posting and replying. I've always read posts from moms or advice links from BbC weekly emails, about parents cuddling with their kids before bed or naps. When my son was 0-7 months, this happened regularly because he was mostly immobile except for sitting and rolling. But ever since then (and he's now15 months), we'd thank the heavens above if LO actually snuggled with us for more then 40 seconds, or if he sat in bed or a couch with us calmly to read or cuddle.. It's impossible! He wants to squirm and play, walk and run, explore and terrorize, eat the dogs food or climb the stairs... He does have somewhat of a bedtime routine just to calm down but we've never been sticklers about routines cuz they've never worked well for us. But anyways, I guess my question to everyone would be: do your 1-2 year old kids actually snuggle/cuddle with you and your SO? And not just being in the same bed with you and still climbing the walls. I mean cuddle in the literal sense of the word. So many posts in so many different categories on every site I look at, show posts about cuddling down with their toddlers... I want to know HOW!?! And when did this start happening peacefully?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LACHESIS
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
My oldest was like that. He has sensory issues and just doesn't like people in his space. He is almost 22 years (yes, YEARS old) and at *some* point, we (I) broke through. He still will pretend to cuddle LOL. I am like WTH man... you are bigger then me LOL.

My daughter, will cuddle when SHE wants to. Period.

My youngest son, loves to cuddle. Like "suffocate mom" cuddle. He loves to do "cheekers" (he has fat little (well not so fat now) cheeks) and just loves to be close.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM
My girl who is 3.5 will climb in the chair with me and snuggle up against me to watch a movie or read a book. Sometimes, she'll grab her blanket to cover us up!!
mariesmama
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LACHESIS:

My oldest was like that. He has sensory issues and just doesn't like people in his space. He is almost 22 years (yes, YEARS old) and at *some* point, we (I) broke through. He still will pretend to cuddle LOL. I am like WTH man... you are bigger then me LOL.

My daughter, will cuddle when SHE wants to. Period.

My youngest son, loves to cuddle. Like "suffocate mom" cuddle. He loves to do "cheekers" (he has fat little (well not so fat now) cheeks) and just loves to be close.

cheekers we say chubby cheekers  my 3 yr old still does tis and to me sometimes! i have always cuddled her to sleep

FarmGirl2B
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM
I think it depends on their mood, how tired they are, etc. Some days I had to physically restrain them to get them to lie down with me for a nap. They snuggle when they want to now at ages 4 and 2, usually at bedtime when they don't want to go to bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Missjenn0829
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a 19 mo and he's bouncy off the walls! But at certain points in the day (in the morning for a litt bit, and when he gets really sleepy.) he will get his cup and dragging his blanky he will snuggle up to me. I love it!

Having said that I have 4 children and out of the 4 only 2 of them have done anything like this. The other two just never seem to loose their energy (even now they are 7yo and 10yo). My 8yo dd was my other child that snuggled with me while I put on an educational show for her.

I have always just understood this as their different personalities. I would just keep an open mind and be patient. He will be affectionate in his time. I would just keep inviting him to snuggle but don't push it.
FarmGirl2B
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Try reading one of her books out loud and see if she comes over to listen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LACHESIS
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Lydia doesn't like being told it is bedtime (well she has gotten a LOT better over the past 3 months or so).
Aiden on the other hand, loves bedtime. He tells me stories and about school and such. He is my cuddler. ;) He tells me when he is in school, he thinks about me and Yidia and his brother and my nephew (who lived with us for a year when my sister died)... but mostly he thinks about me. LOL.

I think perhaps at that age they are not really cuddlers so much. I would continue to keep trying but not push it as the person above me said. :)
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

You jsut have one of those children that just dosent' enjoy cuddling :/.  IT happened to me too and it really made me upset inside :/.  Like you, I read all of these posts about cuddling and I was sad that I felt my days of "cuddling my baby' were over :( : ( :(.  He was very small, 9 months, when he learned to run :(.  That's when it stated. I  couldn't read to him, set him in my lap.......NOTHING :( :(.  But he calmed down and he lets me cuddle him all the time LOL (He's 5 btw).

Leo, on teh other hand (he's 1) is a cuddle monkey.  He loves being cuddles.........perhap[s too much LOL.  But I bet that means he won't want to cuddle me when he's 5 LOL

babowes
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM
To cuddle with my big boys sometimes I read in bed with them.
Snapdragon88
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Besides reading time he never really cuddled, lol. He was too busy :) He's 4 now and super generous with hugs and kisses but not much cuddling going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)