Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Sleeping all night....

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
  • 7 Replies
Hi all!

I have a 19 mo ds that isn't sleeping throughout the night. I have 3 older children and they all three slept throughout the night by the time they were 3 mo it was only about a 5-6 hour stint but I always remember thinking "man what is everyone talking about this isn't hard!" anyway my ds of 19 mo has a routine (like they have) and goes down at 8:00, by 12:00 he is up again, then he's up again around 2:00 then again at 4:00 or 5:00. Sometimes he wakes up twice a night sometimes he wakes up 6 or 7 times a night. He doesn't calm down until I come and get him and hold him... Or more often since I'm so exhausted put him in my bed with me.

Can someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Why is he waking? Could he be hungry?  If so, you may want to feed him more during the day.

If he's just not tired, I'd take a way nap times during the day.

Warm milk before bedtime should help calm him.  As a warm bath and lotion massage :).  IF his skin can handle it, get the lavendar kind....that's really good for calming.

Good luck :)

PEEK05
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Sorry I don't know.  I haven't dealt with that but here is a bump.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Dec. 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM

bump.

Opie99
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM
I am no help but we are in the same boat. We have tried everything.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM

He most likely is just waking out of habit now.  I know it sucks but he's learned that the more upset he gets, the more likely he is to get what he wants...into Mommy's bed.  If it were me I would go in, rub his back but don't pick him up or take him to bed.  Lay him down, soothe him but don't talk to him or anything.  Stay for just a min and then leave.  If he continues to cry go in after 10 mins or so and do it again.  Just keep at it.  You may lose a lot of sleep for a few days but if you stay consistent and don't give in an inch he should catch on quickly and go to sleep.

JATaft828
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I agree with the hungry part, my first was well over 12 months before he started sleeping through the night and with my second I realize im sure he just was not eating enough during the day so I began to make sure he had all 3 meals and snacks in between and it worked great. I even followed a gerber food plan at first to help me make sure he was getting what he needed. With my second I now see it. Maybe try that and also try to wein him off of waking at night, I know it's hard but you can do it. It's ok to to let him cry for a few mins if you know he doesnt need anything and he's good, like someone else mentioned if it's after 10 mins go back in. oh do you have anything soothing? Music, nightlight, etc?Good Luck.

Missjenn0829
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM
Thank you all for your responses! I hadn't thought about him not getting enough to eat. He is such a picky eater. I will definitely use the warm milk trick and he already get a lavender bath and soothing music in his room with a night light.

@Luvmy2babies I know you are probably right. He knows he can get what he wants just because I'm so wiped already.

@opie I am starting these tonight and I will update you on anything that works! Good luck!

Thank you all again!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN