Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of Leashing My 18 Month Old...

Posted by   + Show Post

Whenever we go to, really anywhere, he just wants to walk on his own.  He hates being in the stroller, and hates being held when there are so many things to see.  When we try to hold him so he stays by us, he throws a temper tantrum, and we have to leave.  He doesn't stay right by us though, when we let him down.  And, he RUNS!  Are leashes a bad idea???  I feel like a bad mom...but I want him to enjoy our trips, and I want to enjoy them too.  

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
PEEK05
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Hold his hand

My 19 month old holds our hand or walks beside us.  I sometimes have him in a stroller but that's not often at all.

Opie99
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM
We use a leash. I am a fan of giving him some independence while knowing he is safe. We use it at the zoo, on short walks around the neighborhood. My parents like it as well, they are not able to keep up with him but the leash allows them to be a more active part in his life.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GremlinMom
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:25 PM
I use them for my twins while I wear the baby. They're 20 months now. Its not easy, but its safer.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

You are going to get SOO many different responses here.  Some people will say "I never needed one, I just made my kids listen and mind".  Well those people like to think that's all their superior parenting but it's really mostly their kids personalities :)  My son was like that.  He just learned that when mommy said "stay by me" or "freeze" that meant "stay by me" or "freeze".  I looked at people with those backpacks and thought "you must not know what you are doing cuz look at my kid.  I'm so wonderful at my job he does just what he's supposed to." 

Fast forward to my daughter learning to walk!!!  Man have I eaten my words :)  I think I'm a great mom but my daughter is just like your son.  She's a runner and hates to hold hands.  If we carry her she screams.  I kind of think the hand holding thing (along with other things) is a sensory issue which may need some intervention down the road because she will have times when she screams "IT HURTS" when we try to hold her hand.  I have considered the backpack harness but haven't bought one yet.  If we decided to take a trip to some place like Disneyland I would harness her in a heartbeat because she's just not to be trusted.  No matter how great of a mom I think I am, I'm human and have to do what I have to do to keep my kids safe.  The backpacks and parenting are not mutually exclusive.  The backpacks just allow those of us with kids like that some peace of mind while parenting our kids at the same time. 

Only you know your child and what works best for you. 

mysweet1s
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Every single child is different.  Its not even a matter of "making them behave and listen."  I have 3 kids, my oldest was absolutely my "best behaved" toddler.  But, he was the only one that I used a "leash" with.  Sometimes, even the best behaved children are independent, curious,  and speedy!  He turned 12 yesterday and is no worse for the wear...the best kid ever (even with a history of being leashed...gasp!)  

careyphotoo
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:20 PM
We have one and dd loves it its one with a little puppy back pack and she always wants to put it on. Don't feel like a bad mom your doing what you need to do to keep your child safe.
Gweneveer
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM
Personally, I'm not a fan..But we do what we have to do as moms to keep our kids safe. Don't worry about what anyone else thinks!
emarin77
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Get him a leash.  Don't worry what others think.  Many moms have them for their kids.

jaydensmom1726
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 12:53 AM

i have had one for my son since he could walk.

but my son does had special needs. but we didnt know that when we decided to get one for him

CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Id never use one, I have a 3 year old, 19 month old, and due in feb..if we go where theres no carts, we hold hands and I wear my 18 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)