Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Thinking of Leashing My 18 Month Old...

Posted by   + Show Post

Whenever we go to, really anywhere, he just wants to walk on his own.  He hates being in the stroller, and hates being held when there are so many things to see.  When we try to hold him so he stays by us, he throws a temper tantrum, and we have to leave.  He doesn't stay right by us though, when we let him down.  And, he RUNS!  Are leashes a bad idea???  I feel like a bad mom...but I want him to enjoy our trips, and I want to enjoy them too.  

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
MamaSulli2005
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:07 AM

We have one from our last kiddo but havent used it on Eyan yet. It's not leashing, its' letting your kids safely explore the world. I had quite a few people say they wish they had one. If they had negative opinions the didn't voice them loud enough for me to hear.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:51 AM

You are not wrong. You are considering it for all the right reasons. Using one will allow your child the freedom that he craves, while allowing you to know that your child is also safe, and will help keep him close instead of him running from you.

In your case I would use one.

Phillymama123
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM
My Dd had one. Only for crowded events (like a big church picnic). It looks like an animal backpack with a long tail. I only got comments on what a good idea it was. I had a wrist one as a kid. Not as safe as the ones they make today but I'm sure it kept my butt safe on many occasions.
eevers55
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We haveo ne and I love it for grocery shopping, especially this time of year. Yes, you will be judged, but that goes with being a parent. I was jusged for BFing in public, and now I'm judged for keeping my child close. This is my way of keeping DD happy, healthy, and safe and it's usually older women who give me bad looks (like 60+) The only downside is that if DD is in a bad ood, she'd rather hold the monkey than wear it and gets a little cranky when I have to take it to put it on her back.

MommyRJ
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:08 AM
It's fine. We have one but have never used it. I keep it in the car. I'd rather keep my kid close and safe then either deal with a meltdown or have them kidnapped or injured
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PhoenixsMommy10
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM
If we go somewhere with tons of people (mall, zoo, etc) I harness him. I always make him hold my hand, but the harness is there in case he pulls away really fast.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM
I have a 3 and 2 year olds and we use them. It gives them a since of freedom while keeping them close to you. I don't see anything wrong with them as long as you're not pulling the kid. It is a teaching tool to teach the kid to stay close.
When we go places my dd asks for hers to be on. With ds we really haven't used it but we will be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chasemom847
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM
Personally I don't see anything wrong with them.
Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Nothing wrong with them no matter what poeple say or think. I used one with my daughter and i will with my younger daughter if i have too. Go for it!! Would they rather lose thier kid and someone take them or keep them close? Holding the kids hand doesnt always work

ambermario4ever
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

They are a god thing. I used them with both of my children. They keep them safe. You use a leash to keep them from running off and getting hit by a car or so someone doesn't just pick them up and run off with them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN