Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Thinking of Leashing My 18 Month Old...

Posted by   + Show Post

Whenever we go to, really anywhere, he just wants to walk on his own.  He hates being in the stroller, and hates being held when there are so many things to see.  When we try to hold him so he stays by us, he throws a temper tantrum, and we have to leave.  He doesn't stay right by us though, when we let him down.  And, he RUNS!  Are leashes a bad idea???  I feel like a bad mom...but I want him to enjoy our trips, and I want to enjoy them too.  

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM
Replies (41-47):
vrbtnseele
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM
I HATE leashes, but I have one for my 20 month old for when we go into Boston.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedBeX3
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this

why are leashes a bad thing? my oldest dd loved it. as long as your child is happy healthy and not hurt...what does it matter what others think. if its more convenient for you and you can let him walk instead of a stroller go for it! ;]

witchybabymomma
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I know a lot of people who complain about parents who use these but personally whatever keeps your child safe other people can get over it. I personally work a lot of hours and as a single parent I just don't have the energy to chase after my son for hours on end.

mommy201087
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM
I use one I see. no problem with them plus its easier to deal with a toddler when he doesn't want to stay put.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rocsi718
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I call them backpacks and both my sons had one,my mom bought it for me when I was pregnant with my youngest and my eldest was about 18months. I swear by them it gives your child independence and you peace of mind because you know they're safe. Btw my son didn't use it long he learned to stay close and hold on to me when we were out.
mom2ljh
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Good idea. Do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
popomill
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM
I normally don't like leashes (because my parents kept me on one until I was 7 <.< so embarrassing) but I think that it's a good idea. I got one for my son for the zoo because I thought it would me nice if he could walk around at the exhibits, turns out now only did he not want to wear it, we ended up having to hold him so he can see anyway lol. But, I don't see a problem with using it at the beach, or at other busy places. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)