Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Need Advice.. Been stressed lately.

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'm also new to this group. I am Amber. I'm 17, and I have 26 month old twins. Lately, it seems they are so... Needy. They are usually quiet, and independent to the point where they will sit and play alone while I do homework, or whatever. But they have been bad! I try to give them attention, but they hit, and pinch, and fight eachother, and throw things, and scream, and jump on the couch. This is so new to me.. they are usually angels for me.. sighh...... help please? What kind of punishments are. effective? We DO spank them btw.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Weeeeelllll, if hitting is a behavior they are picking up then spanking them might not be the most effective tool...  In one breath you are saying "don't hit" and then you are hitting them.  You are sending a mixed message.  I don't believe in spanking at all BUT if you do choose to use it, I don't suggest using it when hitting is one of the offenses...

Unfortunately, you are just entering that age but you are doing it x 2!  I've never had multiples so I can't imagine how challenging that can be so hopefully another multiple mama will give you some advice.

For that age it's a lot of hands on parenting.  You can't sit on the couch and tell them not to do something from across the room.  You have to get up everytime and show them what is expected or redirect them to something else.  If they hit/punch/fight then grab their hands and show them "gentle touches".  Instruct them on what TO DO vs. what not to do.  Timeouts when necessary.  1 min for every year old they are (so your kids would get a 1 min timeout).

Good luck and welcome to the group!

KhloesMom2009
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 2:39 PM

2 year old twins have to be tough!

I think it's normal for kids to do what they can do to get your attention, even if that means being naughty. I think they're too young for spanking, but not too old for redirection. If there's a way you can seperate them I would try that, too. Like one in a crib and one in a pack n play. Let them cry it out if they carry on, I mean if you can tolerate that.

corrinacs
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It seems like they are having enough of each other.  If there's a way they can play separately, and have separate times with you, then that may make a difference :).  If its always teh both of them, then they are always fighting for your attention to be undevided.

Good luck!

HetherElizabeth
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Sounds like terrible twos very normal. At their age id suggest timeouts and redirection. Good luck welcome to mommy hood lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Time outs??? As far as the needy part maybe they are just wanting more positive attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeG16
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I do. We do cuddle times, and all of those things.. We do seperate times with each.. They are just being.. Mean.

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Time outs??? As far as the needy part maybe they are just wanting more positive attention.

Mrs.Bolin
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

start out with time out. Just be consistant and dont give up. Explain to them easily what they are doing and shouldnt do it. If they continue then do time out for 2 mins. I didnt start bustin the booty till she turned 4. I worked in daycare about 10 yrs ago when i was just out of school with my mom and she was assistant manager. We went through alot of journeys with kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)