Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you feel about spanking your child, should parents do it. What do you consider going over board? And what would be a reason to actually spank the child?

I for one think sometimes a spanking is in order, but only a swat on the butt at most. I mostly just do time outs but some people think I should spank more often.  

this is Kiley and my unborn son Alexander. 

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:00 PM
Wrenches?? I would just get beat with a belt. It left welts (sp?) all the time.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

I spank when necessary...

But I despise that phrase! My parents used to sat it right before and as they beat the crap out of me... Extension cords, wire hangers, shoes, cutting board, wrenches... That phrase gets my blood boiling... Sorry, had to get that out there..

My grandma spanked me when I needed it... There is a huge difference... So I spank when it's needed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Yeah, and they told social services it was self inflicted...

I'm so happy my grandma intervened... I was the only unwanted one... My childhood was hell..

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

But I despise that phrase! My parents used to sat it right before and as they beat the crap out of me... Extension cords, wire hangers, shoes, cutting board, wrenches... That phrase gets my blood boiling... Sorry, had to get that out there..

My grandma spanked me when I needed it... There is a huge difference... So I spank when it's needed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM
Im sorry. Thats awful.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

I'm so happy my grandma intervened... I was the only unwanted one... My childhood was hell..

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:11 PM
I know the difference between spanking and abuse.. Most think it is, but abuse is far worse... I spank to teach discipline... My siblings don't... Their kid are terrors that I don't allow my kid to play with... My kids are respectful, polite, courteous, kind.. Yeah I do time out first, but I am not afraid to spank, because I understand the difference..

Because of my hell, I give my children a great life... Filled with tolerance, patience, compassion, love, forgivness, fun, etc... They will never know my pain, and for that I do thank my loser parents... They taught me a valuable lesson on unconditional love, and how not to treat any living being

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Im sorry. Thats awful.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I only spank after time outs have been tried. And thats not too often.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

I know the difference between spanking and abuse.. Most think it is, but abuse is far worse... I spank to teach discipline... My siblings don't... Their kid are terrors that I don't allow my kid to play with... My kids are respectful, polite, courteous, kind.. Yeah I do time out first, but I am not afraid to spank, because I understand the difference..

Because of my hell, I give my children a great life... Filled with tolerance, patience, compassion, love, forgivness, fun, etc... They will never know my pain, and for that I do thank my loser parents... They taught me a valuable lesson on unconditional love, and how not to treat any living being

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Im sorry. Thats awful.

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

Quoting Lucky2BaMomof2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lucky2BaMomof2
by Member on Dec. 7, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Lol.. I do the same, but if they need a spankin, they'll get one... I won't think twice...
Brandy85412
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm for spanking but if someone does something else that works for their child then good for them.

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I do tell my kids why they get a spanking.  I would not spank a child if they made a mistake, even if it was dangerous. 

My kids are back to back and when you are dealing with 3 or 4 very young children (my kids are now 6,5, 3 and 2 so you can imagine me dealing with them as babies) you can be dealing with one and the next second one or two of the other kids have taken off and they were just right there at your side. 

You can not keep them chained to you or in a stroller all the time.  They have to learn boundaries and if you give them a boundary and tell them why and they go beyond it anyway and can tell you what they did wrong, in my humble and untrained opinion then they deserve a spanking, especially if it is repeative. 

People who do not spank at all and still raise children that mind and behave very well either have amazing kids or have found a method I can not find even though I have tried.  Talking, time outs and taking things away do not always work with my children.

Oh and though I quoted you I am not really aiming at you, you are the first one I read against spanking.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I think spanking is 100% unnecessary.  I think there is ALWAYS another way to teach your children right from wrong in a compassionate and constructive way.  Regardless of the level of danger they were in, I still just believe those situations deserve a conversation for a child who is older and if the child was too young for a conversation then you need to keep a closer eye on your kid.  My son ran out into a parking lot once because the walkway sort of melted into the sidewalk and he didn't have a clear boundary.  It was as much my fault for not holding on to him so how could I spank for that?  It was an accident so if he needed a spanking for that then so did I...

CheyennesMommy2
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Quoting Paperfishies:

I believe spanking is abuse. We do not abuse our children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM
1 mom liked this

If my son understood spanking, I would probably do it. As it is he doesn't understand it and all it accomplishes is that he feels that we are being mean to him. So I do time outs and other things. 

I feel that just hard enough to cause a little sting is fine, anything over that is overboard. 

To me, spanking should be a last resort. IF other things work then no need to spank. I was spanked, and understood what and why, and it worked. But spanking was the last resort. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)