Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

Posted by   + Show Post

How do you feel about spanking your child, should parents do it. What do you consider going over board? And what would be a reason to actually spank the child?

I for one think sometimes a spanking is in order, but only a swat on the butt at most. I mostly just do time outs but some people think I should spank more often.  

this is Kiley and my unborn son Alexander. 

by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (21-30):
2boys9yrsapart
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM
I spank when needed, I try to give chance after chance after chance first. I believe to each their own. But in all reality I probably need to be more harsh with my boys because the world will be. OAN has anyone else noticed that since people stopped disciplining their kids that mass shootings and violence of that sort has sky rocketed? The fear of a parents wrath used to be enough to keep kids in line but that no longer exists.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:13 AM

It depends on your parentig style.  I have only spanked my children when they are doing something that will hurt themselves or someone else and they aren't listening and all other methods have not worked.  I don't know, something about a swat on the butt really makes them stop LOL>

But its easy to go too far.  A spank that leaves a mark is too far as well as multiple hittings.

MommaGreenhalge
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I am not a parent who should spank because I go overboard with it. It also rarely works with me. I'm not against it when used sparingly and correctly, and DH does occassionally swat their butts. But that is not what that verse was talking about. A shepherd's rod was only used to hit when something was attacking his sheep. The crook was used to guide and direct.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk if someone pointed this out or not but that verse isabout showing your child the right path. The rod is what shepherds would use to guide their flock (He is my shepherd). They don't ever hit their flock with the rod.
Yes we spank on occasion. When it fits the crime which is typically when he completely refuses to listen. Usually more than once. Other than that i use time outs and taking away his toys.
preacherskid
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

We use a swat or tap on the hand as the last step.  Usually though a time out, or loss of a toy or points (we use reward charts), or something along those lines will work.  I know several families that use spanking for EVERY infraction, bare bottom spanking, and I just can't take that step with my kids, and those families will not watch my girls, because our methods are so different when it comes to discipline I don't want to chance them feeling the need to do that to my kids because they are acting too rowdy or throwing a fit over something.

angelmj
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM
I look the verse up and a lot of people said it meant of you don't discipline your child you will spoil them. I never saw anything about sheep. Then I saw something about Shakespeare.

Quoting angevil53:

Idk if someone pointed this out or not but that verse isabout showing your child the right path. The rod is what shepherds would use to guide their flock (He is my shepherd). They don't ever hit their flock with the rod.

Yes we spank on occasion. When it fits the crime which is typically when he completely refuses to listen. Usually more than once. Other than that i use time outs and taking away his toys.

MrsMommy2011
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

We do time outs over here. We only spank if it is necessary like him running into the street or taking protectors off of the outlets after being told no 3 times. We have a time out chair.

momtotwo08
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:30 PM
What exactly is the definition of a "spanking"? Is it a pop on the butt or more than 1? I wouldn't consider a pop as a spanking. If my kids are misbehaving they get more than enough warnings probably too many. If they continue to act up they either go to time out or get a pop on the butt. For example today while eating lunch they were playing in their food, screaming just not acting like you should when at the table eating. I gave them many warnings then I got up and popped both of them. They behaved after bc they knew that I wasn't playing. After we were done I told them that if they act like that again at the table I will throw their food away and they will leave the table. My 4yo has just started getting things taken away like tv or his kindle. I think a pop is fine though.
Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:10 PM

i am all for spanking if nesesary only. I gottem growin up and always swore that i would never give them to my kids....then i grew the heck up and had kids. Now i understand. I mainly do timeouts and other disipline. just a swat on the butt is all i do. Nothing more than that. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Although I don't agree with laying a hand on your child regardless, I consider a spanking with or without pants on and a few hits to the butt.  I, personally, consider a "pop" just as bad though. 

Just food for thought but instead of getting to the point of having to "pop" them, why don't you just remove them from the situation after 1 warning?  Let them come back and try again.  If they act up again, back to timeout.  Again and again until they get the message...  Just something to consider...  Also, I'm most definitely not attacking you, so please don't think I am.  You said, yourself, that you probably give too many warnings so maybe if you just gave the 1, the "pop" wouldn't be necessary because the situation would never escalate.

Quoting momtotwo08:

What exactly is the definition of a "spanking"? Is it a pop on the butt or more than 1? I wouldn't consider a pop as a spanking. If my kids are misbehaving they get more than enough warnings probably too many. If they continue to act up they either go to time out or get a pop on the butt. For example today while eating lunch they were playing in their food, screaming just not acting like you should when at the table eating. I gave them many warnings then I got up and popped both of them. They behaved after bc they knew that I wasn't playing. After we were done I told them that if they act like that again at the table I will throw their food away and they will leave the table. My 4yo has just started getting things taken away like tv or his kindle. I think a pop is fine though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN