Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

They peaked at their Christmas presents! What should we do?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM
  • 53 Replies

Poll

Question: Kids peaked at presents! What should we do?

Options:

Return the presents

Still give at Christmas

Give at Christmas but restrict playing for a day or two

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Well first off, hello everyone!

I have two beautiful, smart, funny little girls, who are also very very naughty. My oldest is 4 turning 5 in January, and my youngest is 3 turning 4 in January. This morning while I was in the bathroom they took it upon themselves to sneak into our bedroom, into the closest, and go through one of the Christmas boxes. Fortunately, they only saw one of their toys, but it was their "big" present (mini baby grand pianos). I'm really bummed, since the pianos were the presents we were most excited to give them. My husband said I should take them back since they ruined the surprise, but I really don't want to do that. I still think we should wrap them and put them under the tree like we planned. They have been punished since they know our room is off limits (I was going to let them play with their friends today but now that's not happening). What would you do? I think that punishment is sufficient, do you? Thanks!

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NYGiantsFan
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a very curious 3 year old girl, as well as a 5 year old (also a girl.. NOT quite as curious as her little sister). Tell them that Santa knew there wasn't enough room on the sleigh for the pianos, so he delivered them early to you. They can still be from Santa. Then, give them another "small" gift from Santa, and the rest of the presents would be from you and the relatives.

PS - I don't know your husband, but his idea to return them is just GRINCH-like. That would be taking away the joy from you, as well as your daughters.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd return them. And I'd probably take my kids with me to do so. Just so they saw them being returned.

I have done this but to my dh not my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM
Were they supposed to be gifts from Santa?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I would still give it to them. I would just make sure you move the gifts. What if they find the Santa gifts and you don't know it..that could ruin the whole Santa thing and that would be horrible!  We keep the gifts in the garage under some tarps behind a old car...no chance the kids getting in there :)  I understand how upset you are that "the big gift" was ruined. That is so sad. My biggest thing this time of year is just watching the reaction. This year our big gift is a puppy. Unfortuently it won't be here on Christmas. We are wrapping up dog toys, dog bed, etc. and just telling them what is coming in January.  I'm so excited to see the reaction!

LuvUSoMuch
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course you can punish them for going in your room since you say it is off limit but I think parents tend to be ridiculous when children find their gifts.  Goodness, Christmas is supposed to be fun and magical! I'm glad you handled it the way you did.  I have seen some moms on here get so out of control cussing and punishing to extreme when their children snoop. :)

collinsmommy0
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd still give it to them, except from you, not from Santa. Then talk to them about how they feel since they knew what the presents were.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
aj23
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 6:02 PM
2 moms liked this
I would tell them they were returned, not put them under the tree and let them go through Christmas day and not get them. Then a day or two after Christmas let them open them. That way they think they aren't getting them so it will still be a big surprise when they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mammabear413
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM
2 moms liked this

i didnt vote id give them for their birthdaay 

mrs.will
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should still give them the gifts, but maybe prank them.  I'd take the pianos out of the boxes fill the boxes with something like newspaper or the shipping peanuts and make them think that was the gift. lol.  Let that be the first gift they open and let them believe till the very last present is opened that their "big' gift was a bunch of peanuts lol. 

Every kid takes a peek at there gifts its like a rite of passage. I wouldnt punish them per se. But they should know your room if off limits. 

englebabies
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Out of site out of mind! My 4 yo opened up one of his brothers presents when I had them hid in my closet so I told him that he had to give up one of his presents and he said ok. Not holding him to it because 1 he doesn't remember what he opened and 2 like I said out of site out of mind. Put them in a new place and by Christmas they won't remember what they where. When we did our first Chritmas shopping the boys where with us and DS4 only asked about the gifts for 2 days then forgot about them. Just wrap them up and you are good. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)