Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

scary day yesterday

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 33 Replies

Let me start from the morning.  My son woke up crying and seemed grumpy but I thought it was just because daddy wasn't home.  I was without my phone because it had fallen in to the toilet the day before, so I used mapquest to get directions.  We left the house and we went to Wal-mart and Target.  When we were in Target myson fell asleep in the stroller.  We had just finished getting checked out and putting everything into the car.  I start the car and get ready to go home.  We are at the stop light waiting for it to turn so that we can get on the road.  I hear a very different scream then usual come from my son.  I turn around to look at him.  His hands were curled and he had gone stiff.  I somehow knew tht it was a seizure because that was not normal.  When the light turns green, I turn left and then make a U-turn and the turn right to get into the Target parking lot.  I get out of the car scream for help and get my son out of the car and he is limp.  Three ladies come over to see what is wrong.  I ask if one can call 911 for me.  My son is slowly becoming alert and fussy.  The ambluance shows up shortly and they check him over.  I had to call my husband to let him know what had happened and that I was riding with our son and leaving the car where it was.

My son and I get to the hospital and they get him checked in adn everything.  My husband arrives and I tell him everything.  They doctor runs blood and urine tests and everything came back negative for any real serious problems.  Our son did however have a slight fever.  We were told that it was normal for a toddler to have a seizure when they are sick. I was told to give him Tylenol and Motrin every 6 hours to bring down the fever.  We were also told no play dates or day care or anything that involved playing with other kids since he is sick.  I will probably check his temperature every day just so that I know whether it is a good idea to go out or start giving him Tylenol and Motrin.  I am calling his doctor Monday even though I have an appopintment for him for his 2 year well check.  I just want to have the doctor look at him more carefully and see if there are any tests that need to be run or if there is anything I can do to prevent another one or make him comfortable if he has another one.

by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheMommaJessie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM

i have never heard of a toddler having seizures due to fever unless it was extremely high. my son was 8-9 months old with a 102.4 fever once & didnt seize turned out 2 b severe double ear infections. hoppe your little man is fine.

PandaMama23
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

His temp was 103.0 when we got to the ER.  It was weird because he seemed fine all day and then just out of the blue he had a seizure.  He has been fine all day today.  No sickness and no infections.  I'll see what his doctor says though when we see her.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM
My ds had a fever seizure when he was 2. Scariest thing ever! His eyes rolled back in his head and he turned blue. I will never ever forget that day.
He's 5 now and has never had another one.

Hope your ds feels better soon.
Eta: his fever was 103 when the paramedics arrived
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyBeansMom
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:56 PM
That must have been terrifying! Glad he is okay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:00 PM
You said he had a slight fever in your post.

Quoting PandaMama23:

His temp was 103.0 when we got to the ER.  It was weird because he seemed fine all day and then just out of the blue he had a seizure.  He has been fine all day today.  No sickness and no infections.  I'll see what his doctor says though when we see her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PandaMama23
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

He is doing fine now.  He is a little more fussy today.  Luckily we didn't have anything to do today.  I hope that this doesn't happen again or if it does hopefully DH is with me when it does.

PandaMama23
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:09 PM

That was what the paper work said and what the doctor said.  The doctor also said that his temp could've went up because of his seizure because he felt fine to me that morning.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

You said he had a slight fever in your post.

Quoting PandaMama23:

BramblePatch
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM
Ummmm....hun....get a referral to a peds neurologist. Don't take any chances. Did they CT the brain?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:34 PM
hugs
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kristina0121
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM
My son has had a fever of 105 with pneumonia before. Its not how high the fever gets that causes seizures! Its how fast the fever rises. If it rises too quickly, it can cause seizures! That's ptobably why you felt he was fine, then all of a sudden wasn't. You can't see that coming so don't feel bad!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)