Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does Your Toddler/Preschooler Know How to Use a Cell Phone or Computer?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
  • 14 Replies

3-Year-Old Saves His Mom's Life by Making His First Phone Call Ever

Posted by Adriana Velez

cell phoneIn case of emergency, would your preschooler know what to do? One 3-year-old saved his mother's life with one key phone call on her BlackBerry. Cally Wooton had gone into a diabetic seizure when her son, Aaron Green, found her unconscious on the floor. He had never used her cellphone before, but somehow he managed to unlock it, scroll through the address book, and choose his grandmother's phone number.

Aaron's grandmother immediately raced to their home and called emergency. Cally ended up in a coma for five days, but she lived! She's recovering now, very much alive, and grateful for her quick-thinking son.

Cally jokingly says Aaron must have picked up how to use the phone from watching his mother "nattering" on the phone all the time. But that makes a lot of sense -- that's how kids learn how to do pretty much everything else, right? By watching us.

There have been times when I've become aware of exactly how closely my son watches me, and how much he picks up. It takes my breath away every time. 

This generation of kids is turning out to be incredibly tech savvy. You've heard the phrase "digital native," right? They're surrounded by so many gadgets it's like they're picking up how to use them almost like they're picking up on language.

Still, I'm impressed with Aaron. So was his teacher -- his preschool gave him a badge for bravery. But I'm sure no praise or award compares with just having his mother well and with him.

Does your toddler or preschooler know how to use a cellphone or computer?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My 3.5 year old only knows how to access a couple of games on my phone but that's it.  She does not know how to use a computer.  I will start introducing the computer for educational activities when she is 5, before she is in kindergarten.

Pam_8787
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Both my 4 and 2 year old know how to use my phone but I am not sure they would know how to make a call. I am diabetic and the thought of something happening to me while I was by myself with my boys scares me. It's probably really important for them to know how to dial for help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militlady
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

my son does know how to call my best friend and also how to go to utube and zoodles. I have my phone blocked for stuff we don't need to see though and he is sitting right next to me when he is using my phone so I know what he is looking at. I do need to teach him about 911 just in case.

kewi86
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM

My daughters know how to work the games on a computer.  When it comes to my phone I let them play some games but that all they know how to do.  And they are educated with calling 911 when it's emergency.

mommamaggi
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM

They know how to use my cell phone, they were using it every time I left the room and calling random people, so I had to lock it.

jasminesmom210
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM
My cell has a lock on it she wouldnt be able to figure out, when its unlocked all she knows how to do is play games when I get into them for her. As far as a computer she knows how to get onto and play her games, shes 4. I never realltly thought of teaching her how to use my phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:02 PM

no if that were me i would have been dead because i have a special needs 3 year old.

momdays
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

That's crazy! I don't even know how to use a blackberry! I don't know how to explain to my almost 3 year old what an emergency is, or how to use my phone. 

babowes
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM
This is a real scarey thought for me. I must teach them. I will ask my 8 yr old tomorrow.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:19 PM

My son and daughter both know how to play games on the computer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)