Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Bedwetting

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
  • 113 Replies

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KayelynnsMama
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

My stepson just turned 6, and still wets the bed. He wears a pull up to bed. His doctor told us that it's normal,and it should go away with time.

We don't let him drink past 7, he pees before bed at 8, and sometimes we even wake him up in the middle of the night. He still wets at night.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM
14 moms liked this

Whoever told you that is very uninformed.  You cannot night train a child.  Staying dry at night happens when the brain has developed enough to release a hormone that slows urine production while sleeping.  You cannot train this.  It happens when it happens.  Continue with the pull-ups until you see she's waking up dry consistently for a few weeks to a month and then try underwear.  Since you have the plastic cover you don't have to worry about your mattress.  My son was able to stay dry by his 4th birthday.  My DD is almost 3 1/2 and is pretty hit or miss at night.  I expect she'll need help for at least another 6 months, maybe more.  Such is life.  I don't put energy into things I can't control :)

Your daughter will get there when her body is ready.

OliviaW.
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

My daughter is 3 and potty trained. We do have a potty in her room just encase she needs to go in the middle of the night and can't make it down the hall. Sometimes she does have accidents though but normally only when it gets really cold.

hwifeandmom
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You cannot night train a child.  The body has to develop a hormone that signals the kidneys to slow urine production while the body is asleep.  Without that hormone, the body produces too much urine to stay dry. This can happen at all different ages and is not something you have control over.  

Once you see signs that your daughter's body has matured (less wet in the morning, or occasional dry nights), then you can finish "training" her by limiting fluids before bed and awakening her to go potty just before YOU go to bed at night.

For now, just keep her in the pullups.  She's still VERY young and not at all of an age where you should be worried about it (doctors don't even think twice about it until a child is 7-8yrs or older -- and even then there's not much they can do until the body matures, except rule out medical problems as the reason).

Brandy85412
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM
some kids just can't hold it all night. 3 is still young. Don't worry about it. I would just put pull ups or diaper on at night and wait a little longer and try again. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MummySnable
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM
It's completely normal. My three-year-old has been potty-trained since 18mos but she still has nappies for at night. Same with my five-year-old son. It'll go away with time. My sister struggled with bedwetting until she was ten, and she finally outgrew it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmspaccamonti
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:06 PM
My 3 yo son has his good and bad nights! He will be dry every morning for 2 weeks and then wet his bed. For the most part he sleeps in underwear, but we still occasionally use pull ups. It seems he stays dry with pull ups and wets when he doesnt have one on. Patience is key!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Marti123
by Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Night wetting is completely normal up to 6-7 years old,  sorry, mama, pull-ups are your laundry's and your DD's best friend.

kewi86
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I'm going through it now with my daughter.  It help to wake the child up at night constantly so that your child body can get use to having to wake up to go to the bathroom.  Good luck.

PEEK05
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Sorry, my 3.5 year old was night trained at 2 as soon as she daytrained but there is a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN