Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (101-110):
greeniemommy
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM

my 3yr old is the same way doctors have told me that this is normal she just gets in to such a deep sleep that she does not wake up in order to pee ... it will go away as she gets older ... i do the pull ups at night with her also do not see a problem with it and also saves on my wash bill

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM

When I read the title I thought you were talking about a 7 years old! Of course is normal! Is normal until 5 or older! Her bladder is just not big enough to hold all the pee for those hours! 

susieQ680
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM

My son is seven and has never wet the bed

amazzonia
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You have to explaine me why on earth you wake your kid up to bring her to the bathroom at night, beside the fact you want to brag about your 2 years old going to the bathroom at night, I don't see any good out of it!

Quoting kayleesmom42328:

Our 2 1/2 yr old dd has been completely potty trained since January. Night times were a little harder. You can night time potty train. With dd we cut off drinks at 630, put her on the potty before bed at 8:30, put her on again before we went to bed usually around 11. We also put her on when we would go at night. Even half asleep with one of us holding her she would go. We kept her potty chair in her room at night, we didn't use pulls up at all! They just encouraged her to pee while in bed instead of using her potty. Pull ups are just another diaper. We had dd using potty during the day a & at night in about 2 1/2 weeks. She wakes up on her own & uses the bathroom all the time. Being consistent is a big part of potty training.

ilovemyson93
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM

It is not something that is the child's fault. It happens when the child's bladder is not developed enough for them to feel the urge to pee at night and wake them up. My little sister is 8 and she still does it sometimes. I think they will eventually outgrow it.

calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM
My ds is 4 1/2. Is potty trained but hasn't been for that long. Only about a yr. He still wears pullups to bed. Some mornings he's dry and sometimes he's not. I personally don't have the time to do all the extra laundry with working 30 or so hours a week. And getting him up in the middle of the night isn't really the best idea for us. He's a crab and he won't go back to sleep if we do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Children often have the bladder control to potty train while they are awake way before they are able to hold it at night. They haven't yet developed the ability to wake up when they have to use the bathroom. My son is almost five and wets the bed on very rare occasions. We don't limit drinks before bed, if he's thristy, he has a glass of water next to his bed, but we don't push them either and make sure that he uses the bathroom before bed. I'd rather have to change the sheets then make him go to bed really thirsty. We have never used pullups because I know a lot of kids who just end up using them as diapers and don't even try to get up at night, but if its an every night thing and she otherwise uses the bathroom, it might be a good idea since shes still so young, just until she has better bladder control.

Kbug3
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Yes he stopped on his own. He slowed down and had a few dry nights in a row and then maybe an accidet or two and then it stopped in a matter of a few weeks. Thankully!

Quoting Eyelashes23:

he just stopped on his own? my son is 9 and has 2 weeks dry but thats with me limiting his drinks before bed and getting him to use the bathroom at midnight

Quoting Kbug3:

My son JUST stopped wetting the bed. He is 12. We limited drinks. Caffeine. Etc. we made him go to the bathroom before bed. We woke him up in the night. Nothing worked. We tried different medications. We tried homeopathics. He would sleep very hard and not know when he was wet. I could wake him up in Half hour increments and he would still wet. Dr said the body will still produce ounces of urine through the night. As embarassing as it was he had to wear pull-ups. I was told by drs that until their body catches up with the brain in Getting the correct message there was not a lot we could do. He finally just stopped.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
landen1229
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

My SS is about to turn 11 and he still has accidents. We limit what he get to drink, which means after a certain time he don't get a drink at all. He will get up and change all his cloth but his undies, and then he will get right back up in his bed and sleep in it. We don't find out until the next moring. The worst part about it all is he won't tell anyone at all so I can atleast get his bed cleaned up before he has to sleep in it again. I don't make him put pull-ups on but my in-laws do. Good Luck 

donnadea
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 3:56 AM

my 8 yr old still wets the bed. We are trying medication, it seems to be helping some but he still wets a few times per week. At least its not every night any more. I have him wear pull ups so I don't have to wash sheets every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)