Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (51-60):
sashamom03
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM
My daughter had a couple times when she was younger. It is common for children even older sometimes, like up to the age of 7. No need to worry.
IQuitCounting
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM

If she's a super deep sleeper, which it sounds like, the pull-up vs. underwear argument is invalid.  It won't matter.  My older brother did the same thing and it wasn't until a Dr finally told my parents to set an alarm for themselves for the middle of the night, get up, wake him up (and to make sure he's fully awake not sleep walking) and make him go.  After a time it trained him to wake up on his own and go.  Pain in the butt, but when you've got a 7-10 year old still having problems you do what you gotta do.

She is only three too, I know many that aren't trained fully by 5 even, so her age may be playing a role in it.

Good luck Mama!

spitfire06
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM
What we did with my daughter when this happened was no drinks an hour before bed, took her to the potty and she had to stay there till she peed which was usually right away anyway, and then laid her down told her every night for awhile if she needs to go get up and go, put night lights in the bathroom cuz they can be scary at night for little ones, and got her up to pee at least once a night when i had to pee.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaScho88
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I wish I had some answers for you but I have a daughter who is turning 8 and she wets the bed every night and I have tried everything in the book there is...don't let her drink past 4:30 pm, make her pee before she goes to bed, wake her up at night, put nightlights everywhere, the doctor even put her on a medication this year because 7 is the youngest age someone can use it, it is supposed to suppress the amount of urine the kidneys produce at night, nope those don't even work either....Oh and by the way, pull ups don't encourage it, my daughter doesnt wear them because they dont fit her and she still does it. I would say they might for your daughter because she is only 3, but thats probably not it....I would give her more time, she is only 3 and has a small bladder, some people just don't wake up at night to pee, some people just hold it until they wake up in the morning and she isn't at the age where her bladder is big enough or with that much control for that yet. Next step I am taking her to a urologist just to make sure her kidneys and bladder and everything are normal. I'm sure it's hereditary, it's actually more common in boys than in girls, but it runs in my family, my mother and my 2 brothers all wet the bed until they were preteens :( really sucks cleaning up all this pee all the time when I have a 4 year old I am trying to nighttime train (he won't wake up to pee, but alot of the times he is able to hold it til morning a long as I limit drinks in the hours leading up to bedtime), an 18 month old still in diapers, and a new baby on the way...I don't see my days dealing with pee being over anytime soon......

momma0ffive
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
something is lacking in her life. my niece who lives with me is eight and was doing the same thing... we just set up a consistent routine... same bedtime every night limited drinks after 6pm..... and now she rarely had an issue
LisaSmock
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Normal put good nights on her
Chillisarah
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

It's normal. Keep doing what you are doing and eventually in a year she will be just fine.  She's still so young and her bladder is still developing I guess.

emarin77
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Whoever told you that is very uninformed.  You cannot night train a child.  Staying dry at night happens when the brain has developed enough to release a hormone that slows urine production while sleeping.  You cannot train this.  It happens when it happens.  Continue with the pull-ups until you see she's waking up dry consistently for a few weeks to a month and then try underwear.  Since you have the plastic cover you don't have to worry about your mattress.  My son was able to stay dry by his 4th birthday.  My DD is almost 3 1/2 and is pretty hit or miss at night.  I expect she'll need help for at least another 6 months, maybe more.  Such is life.  I don't put energy into things I can't control :)

Your daughter will get there when her body is ready.

justahousewife
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

My tweens ped said to ignore it until they're old enough to be embarrassed by it (7-9) because sometimes it just takes the brain and body to connect when it comes to that sort of thing. We stuck with the pull-ups until she was having more dry nights then wet ones. 

meliscool72
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM

try waking her up every hour if you can and getting her to at least sit on the potty. I think it is normal for this age to wet the bed...but when she gets older and wets the bed there may be a problem. I am embaressed to say, but think you might need to know this. I wet the bed up until I was 15 years old. I was being molested by my grandfather for 14 years and didn't know how to tell anyone because he was a bastard and told me if I told he would hurt me and all who was around me until I told my friend and she told me if I didn't tell the counselor she would. I finally was relieved when I couldn't see him any more and then...I had to potty train myself at night. It was the hardest thing for me to do for myself because I was potty trained, but had a hard time getting out of bed. Watch for these signs....of peeing in the bed when older and odd behavior that is not normal..I did a lot of odd behavior that no one really picked up on when I was little. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)