Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (61-70):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
3.5 and 8 are VERY different with regards to potty issues. Glad it worked for your neice but for this 3.5 yr old it is completely normal to not wake up to urinate.

Quoting momma0ffive:

something is lacking in her life. my niece who lives with me is eight and was doing the same thing... we just set up a consistent routine... same bedtime every night limited drinks after 6pm..... and now she rarely had an issue

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Heavy sleeping tots do not feel the urges. My son typically didn't know he did it until he moved and felt the cold. I did not do pull ups, never made him feel bad.
I would get him up at two and four. At three, i never worried about it. I just kept towels and clean pjs next to the bed for when he called for me.

Put a towel down , help him change and get him back to sleep ASAP
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elliephant
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

My daughter just turned 11 yrs old...she still wets the bed regularily.  I am not planning on trying the medication yet. 

Its not unusal for children to wet the bed at 3.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

At her age it's still pretty normal.  Some kids just take more time to grow out of that stage.  When they are awake, they are immediately aware of their bodily functions, but when they are asleep they are not.  Some kids bodies just have a more difficult time waking out of a sleep in time to get up and use the potty.

One thing I've heard that works well for some kids (and sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the replies) is a method of training her body to wake up at a certain time.  You put her to bed like normal (having her use the potty right before bedtime).  Then 2 hours after you put her to bed, go in and get her up and bring her to the potty to use it.  Have her use it (at least try) then take her back to bed.  Do this at the same time interval every night.  Eventually her sleep pattern will adjust so that she wakes on her own at that same time.  Then it will allow her to get up and use the potty on her own.  Two hours is just an approximation.  You may need to adjust that earlier if she's already wet after 2 hours or later if she doesn't pee much after 2 hours.  I just think 2 hours is a good starting point.  I haven't used this method myself yet (need to with my youngest) but I have heard of other parents having success with it.  It's at least worth a try.

I'll just let you know too, some kids end up requiring a medication for bedwetting called Desmopressin.  Keep the name for future reference.  You're daughter is a bit young to need it right now.  I don't think that's something to really explore until you hit at least 5 years old.  I'm trying it right now with my 8 year old who still wets the bed.  I've heard of other kids in the 7-9 age range who were still bedwetters that taking the medication worked wonders.  For now it's just a piece of info to tuck into the back of your head just in case it becomes an issue down the road.

GL

karamille
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:51 PM

When our kids were in this phase, we would get them up before we went to bed to pee again.  It was usually around midnight so they only had to make it to 6am rather than from 7:30 bedtime to 6am.  Generally we had no accidents doing it this way.  

Mommy4000
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It's completely normal and common and not considered to be a medical issue until the age of 8. It's something most healthy children with no underlying issues will outgrow at or before that age. Some doctors will even refuse to treat before the age of 12 considering it's a seemingly healthy child. It is often hereditary as well, so don't stress. Keep her in the pull-ups and make sure she understands it's not her fault and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

SMG1120
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I wet the bed until I was around 10 years old. I have a small bladder and seriously at 29 years old, I pee every hour or 2. And I get up at least 3 times a night to pee. Some people are just like that. My husband goes pee like twice in a 24 hour period.

I would day that since she is 3 I wouldnt worry just yet. I know it can be frustrating. Some kids just sleep heavier than others and dont wake up when they feel the urge to pee, especially at such a young age. I wish I had some advice for you that wasnt mentioned already. My daughter is 5 and we never used pull ups with her. We didnt have to, she never wets the bed. Which is good seeing as she sleeps like her daddy and has his bladder capacity. You couldnt wake them if there was a tornado ripping through the house.

Just give her some time, no drinks 2 hours before bed and make sure she goes pee right before bed. Good luck :)

Pollymom
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My daughter is 3 1/2 and wets the bed at night also. I honestly think they get into such a deep sleep sometimes that they are unable to rouse themselves to get up and go potty. Some nights she does and some nights she doesn't. Yes, I wash a lot of pajamas and bedsheets, but I do it knowing she will outgrow it someday.

I was a bedwetter as a child and I did not know I had wet the bed until I would get up in the morning. I couldn't help it. I did outgrow it on my own.

I think what you're doing is fine, with the pull ups and limiting her drinks. It's about all you can do. My nephew was a bedwetter as a child also and my sister tried everything - she even bought one of those wet alarm things for the bed. My nephew would sleep right through it. He just had to outgrow it...and he did. It's just gonna take time and a lot of patience. Good luck!

MentorMom1
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I agree with the developmental responses. However, I would also try to limit sweets. Instead, try giving a bit of protein in the evening before bed. A piece of cheese, cottage cheese, etc.

Quoting Jwelder:

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

do11face
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

It's completely normal.

Pull-ups will not hinder her progress or encourage her in any way.
People who think like that drive me crazy.

Just keep the pull-ups on for now. That's my suggestion.
She will eventually grow out of bedwetting.

do11face
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I wet the bed until I was 11.

There was nothing lacking in my life. That is ridiculous.
Plenty of older children wet the bed. Their bodies just do not secrete the hormone to trigger the response when they are sleeping. One day I just magically stopped. All the people I know who were also late bed wetters said the same thing. It just stopped one day.

Quoting Ktina11:

3.5 and 8 are VERY different with regards to potty issues. Glad it worked for your neice but for this 3.5 yr old it is completely normal to not wake up to urinate.

Quoting momma0ffive:

something is lacking in her life. my niece who lives with me is eight and was doing the same thing... we just set up a consistent routine... same bedtime every night limited drinks after 6pm..... and now she rarely had an issue

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)