Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 1: Applesauce Ornaments!

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM
  • 90 Replies
5 moms liked this

Today's craft is so easy and you probably have most, if not all, of the materials needed in your house. Today's challenge is to make cinnamon applesauce ornaments! Not only is this a fun and simple craft, but you can even make ornaments for family or friends!

Materials needed:
3/4 cup of Applesauce
1 bottle (4.12 ounces) of Cinnamon
Cookie cutters
String, Ribbon, Twine
Optional Supplies (glitter, paint, sequins, tooth picks, etc)

Add the applesauce and cinnamon into a bowl and mix it up. You want to make sure that the dough is firm and not runny. Place the dough on wax paper or a cookie sheet and roll it with a rolling pin. Roll the dough until it is 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick. We used cookie cutters and I traced my kids hands with tooth picks. I also used tooth picks to poke holes in the ornaments for where the ribbon goes.

Put the ornaments in the oven for 2 and 1/2 hours at 200 degrees. While the ornaments are in the oven, your house will smell amazing! Once the ornaments are finished baking, let them cool, and then either leave them as is or have your kids decorate them!

The great thing about this craft is you can have your kids help with the dough and cookie cutters, put them down for a nap while the ornaments bake, and pick up with the decorating when their nap is over!

Do you have any ornaments on your tree that your kids made? Do you give handmade gifts to family members for the holidays?

If you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gweneveer
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Cute!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bella14308
by Crystal on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Awesome. we have lots of homemade ornaments on our tree
brandhailey
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Great I love to make fun things with the kids but its kinda messy lol

RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

sidesplittinglaughterYou said "nap!" Yeah, my kids don't do that. Ever.

This sounds amazing!! I don't have a full bottle of cinnamon though, and I'm not sure I have that much applesauce. So this will require a run to the store.

MrsErdos2011
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

We will be making salt dough ornaments in a couple of weeks with my niece and nephew

RobynS
by Robyn on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:08 PM

we have tons of home made ornaments and I even still have some that I made as a kid. Love 'em!

jenniferlee_12
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

We did the salt dough ornaments. These must smell great though!

Angelanscalf89
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I made these a couple weeks ago but they have all broke by now idk what I did wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Becca8871
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:11 PM
Very cute !!! Can't wait to do it with my Sammie ! We made some ornaments with ornaments balls with her hand print in white paint and we made her fingers into snow men's! We give them to family !
myhandsomelove
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Those look cool, we tried doing the salt dough ornaments but, they kinda came out funky looking. We put them on the tree still it was our first try at it so we had to show off our work. I have to go to the store for these later. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN