Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 2: Build a House

Posted by   + Show Post

Gingerbread houses are a classic holiday craft! Since I didn't have gingerbread in my house, we made a graham cracker house instead. It was a good substitution and easy to work with.

Materials needed:
Gingerbread or graham crackers
Icing
A piece of cardboard
Miscellaneous candy

I started by putting icing on the piece of cardboard as my foundation (I wanted to make sure the sides stayed up so I used a small tissue box and attached the sides to that). After sides were on we made the roof.

Once the house was standing my 3 year old and 18 month old took turns decorating the house. This craft is great because kids of all ages can get involved!

Did you ever make gingerbread houses as a kid? Is it something that you usually do with your kids around the holidays?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
mommy_2_be_2010
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Bump can we eat it after lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:27 AM
We did it every year growing up. And this year i will be letting dd decorate one for the first time this year. But waiting until my family comes to visit so her and her 6 year old cousin can decorate it together.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Ohhh a small tissue box is perfect! I usually buy the sets from Michael's but I think I may give this a try this year!

lish2127
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

We made these 2 yrs ago...we'll have to do it again.

StephanAndCoral
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I have never made them as a kid. But then I met a friend several years ago and we made them.with graham crackers and have done them ever since. Currently we have the 23rd scheduled to make houses, homemade hot chocolate, and watch Christmas movies.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
summerbear
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM
I love making them with my kids. We never got the chance to make them growing up. I love making things with my little ones!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I made gingerbread houses at school but never at home.  I haven't tried with my 3.5 year old yet, but she loves that kind of stuff so I want to get a kit this year to do with her. :)

myhandsomelove
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM
We do this every year, I buy the kit they sell and we work together on it as a family.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM

oh i love making gingerbread houses but yeah i have always used graham crackers not really a fan gingerbread

jenniferlee_12
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

We never really made them as kids and I haven't tried with my 2 year old yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)