Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 2: Build a House

Posted by   + Show Post

Gingerbread houses are a classic holiday craft! Since I didn't have gingerbread in my house, we made a graham cracker house instead. It was a good substitution and easy to work with.

Materials needed:
Gingerbread or graham crackers
Icing
A piece of cardboard
Miscellaneous candy

I started by putting icing on the piece of cardboard as my foundation (I wanted to make sure the sides stayed up so I used a small tissue box and attached the sides to that). After sides were on we made the roof.

Once the house was standing my 3 year old and 18 month old took turns decorating the house. This craft is great because kids of all ages can get involved!

Did you ever make gingerbread houses as a kid? Is it something that you usually do with your kids around the holidays?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
leahsmom0201
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM
maybe we will make a house for our gingerbread people we made last night so they arnt homeless anymore lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Jennifer on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM
We are doing a gingerbread train.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

we make premade kits generally, there's a cute train one my kids want to put together.

we did NOT make them growing up though.

terabear42809
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Oh fun. This is a will do. Good idea with the tissue box for support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WeeTee75
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I had never made one as a kid, but my daughter (4) and I have made them the last few years.  At a local "Elves Workshop" event every year we go and make a graham cracker house.  We also picked up a Hershey House when we went to Hershey Park a few weeks ago, so we will be putting that together this weekend.

OBImomma
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

We make a gingerbread house every year. It's so fun
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I haven't done this with my kids ever but I think they are getting old enough it would be fun to try this year!

baby7810
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:42 AM

sweet gonna get stuff on the way home :)

eevers55
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

This is the first year I'm making one. DD is 19 months and when I was little, I ALWAYS wanted one. DH found a good little kit at Target, so come the end of Hanukkah, I'm busting out the Christmas stuff and we're making the house :P

Angelanscalf89
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

My 3 year old made this all by himself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)