Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 2: Build a House

Posted by   + Show Post

Gingerbread houses are a classic holiday craft! Since I didn't have gingerbread in my house, we made a graham cracker house instead. It was a good substitution and easy to work with.

Materials needed:
Gingerbread or graham crackers
Icing
A piece of cardboard
Miscellaneous candy

I started by putting icing on the piece of cardboard as my foundation (I wanted to make sure the sides stayed up so I used a small tissue box and attached the sides to that). After sides were on we made the roof.

Once the house was standing my 3 year old and 18 month old took turns decorating the house. This craft is great because kids of all ages can get involved!

Did you ever make gingerbread houses as a kid? Is it something that you usually do with your kids around the holidays?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (31-40):
ashleywagoner
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Loved making them with my mom! Gonna have to build one with ds:))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momto1ryen
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

We did for the first time last year and my dd loved it so we probaly will again. I love this idea of graham crackers though!

Madelaine
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Cute!

MargauxG
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM

We tried making them last year and it was a disaster!!! We decorated waffle cones with green frosting and candy this year :) here's my silly boys posing with their trees... My 2 yo daughter wouldn't make one, but wanted to eat them

Bob192
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Our kids have done it before.  I have never thought of using graham crackers.  That is a cheaper way to do it!

MamaMandee
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

We have made a few over the years. 

mommy2kaelynn
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

When she was little we am a gingerbread girl, but each year since we have made a house. We even had a HUGE estate one year, three houses, trees, and a koi pond!!!! It's one of our favorite holiday traditions

wannablikealice
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:20 PM
I can't wait to do this next year. My daughter is still too small to do it yet.
Mrs._Lovett
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

graham crackers are a great idea. and honestly its probably more likely that they'll get eaten instead of the gingerbread

mygirls_rmylife
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:39 PM

We have never made a gingerbread house. Might try to this year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)